Gear Storage and Long Term Storage tips...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
my gf and her sister have a full set of gear including JBCD, Oceanic Delta regs with Cressi Archimedes computers, fins, masks, snorkels, wetsuits etc.

The JBCD and suits have been hanging on a semi-enclosed back porch, but exposed to outside temperature/humidity over the course of the last 8 years.

The regs are stored in a Aqualung reg bag and have been living in a uninsulated garage.

The sister's fins have been in the garage, my gf and my fins/mask/snorkel/3mil suits have been in a suitcase in my closet at our apartment.

The scuba-specific gear hasn't been serviced since 2007-2008 and hasn't been in use since around that time.

I am going for my certification over the next 5 weeks and then we're going on trips to Key West and Aruba within a 3 month period.

I'd like some suggestions on:

1. How to better store everyone's gear?

2. What should I inspect and look for given the gear's current storage and usage situation?

3. What, if any service should be performed before putting the gear back in to use?

4. Anything else I should consider?

I would like to do whatever is necessary to keep our gear in perfect, safe and operational condition even though we don't dive often and sometimes, not for a few years.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

sunlight, ozone, and moisture are major bad things to gear. I was successful with an 8+ year storage by putting everything (clean and dry) in the large storage totes. Batteries out of stuff (though you may also have issues with the memory batteries in the electronics, and they mey be unservicable due to age anyways - learned that the hard way). Things like inflator valves and dump valves will need service when you go to use them again as they will likely be sticky. Hopefully the BC (if it has a bladder bag) survived - see if it will hold air. Regulators will need service, and may need parts replaced (diaphragms & o-rings may break down), hoses may become brittle. Rubber items may break down (fin pockets, mouth pieces, masks, etc.), and the neoprene may become brittle, cracking or tearing.....

In the future, pack stuff so it isn't creased or smashed (think roll). As for temperarture, I had most of my stuff in the roof rafters of an unheated/un insulated garage here in western New York with no ill effects - higher temperatures may be an issue depending on where you are.

Tanks and regs were kept in my house.

You should bring the BC & regs to a shop for service before use.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, almost forgot - bugs may have nested in everything (cocoons) - look it over..... get it serviced!

The regulators you should have serviced before you dive. And the BC needs to be checked to make sure it inflates properly, holds air and deflates.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom