Geezer Freediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Turning 65 on Monday and have done lots of shallow dives while snorkeling. I've been interested in going deeper for years but never have "pushed the envelope." Do you know if there are specific contraindications for freediving after a certain age? I swim a mile in the pool 2-3x/wk and regularly do a 25 yd underwater swim. To my knowledge, I'm fairly healthy. I've got books on freediving but have never been able to attend a class.
Thx

Turning 65 on Monday and have done lots of shallow dives while snorkeling. I've been interested in going deeper for years but never have "pushed the envelope." Do you know if there are specific contraindications for freediving after a certain age? I swim a mile in the pool 2-3x/wk and regularly do a 25 yd underwater swim. To my knowledge, I'm fairly healthy. I've got books on freediving but have never been able to attend a class.
Thx
65 is not necessarily very old

Thanks, Sam, but I doubt that most MD's would know what to look for. As my kids have told me, DENIAL IS NOT JUST A RIVER IN EGYPT!

Take a freediving course to learn how to safely push the envelope. I'm 68 years old and took the PFI Intermediate Freediving course in 2010. Highly recommended.
I’m impressed! That sounds like an intense class! In my little experiments with Freediving I have found my breath hold is very short... I would need a more entry level class, perhaps the OP would too?

In my little experiments with Freediving I have found my breath hold is very short... I would need a more entry level class, perhaps the OP would too?

A wide range of really good courses are offered by PFI and a few others. The important part of the message is to take a good course to learn to advance safely AND the OP's age is not necessarily a barrier. That course dramatically improved my freediving. It will also make any Scuba diver better and safer.

To BradMM

Next month 77 for me !
Last time in a quarry it was in september 2016 ( at 20m)

A small film I’ve done at La Gombe in Belgium 11/10/2015
https://vimeo.com/142274793

After Indonesia I wasn't anymore attracted by cold and dark Water…of the quarries.
Another film I've done in Indonesia Kri n°1 2017 =>
And the last example in Red sea 2018 chapter 5 (Zerib Kebir) =>
Before the small trip to the cave, I had descended to 21 m with my video camera fixed on a large wing ... It's not so easy that in "snorkeling" state along the vertical rope and hands free.

I must say that I lost all the training (AIDA) in pool at the beginning of the year ... because of a pulmonary infection.

I was tired and unwilling to participate in AIDA training that starts at 21h! But I hope to find better conditions to participate again in training.

In Belgium, divers and freedivers are obliged to perform an exercise test every year (from the age of 50) in a cardiologist's home.

Up to now my heart is very good…( I'm member of race bike club .)

Last year I climbed "by pushing on the pedal of my bike" ;-) the famous Mont Ventoux.
=> Mont Ventoux - Wikipedia

So if your physical condition is Ok (and you seems to be in a very good healthy) No problem to practice « Freediving ».

BUT ... after visiting your cardiologist ... and after taking a basic "freediving course", you need to know the safety rules to avoid accidents….No hyper ventilation.

To Akimo

You followed The PFI...:thumb:
It's written "« Learn to freedive down to a maximum depth of 40m/132 feet! »

Did you dive down to 40m?
If yes : in which discipline (Constant Weight - CW) , (Free Immersion - FI) or (No Limit) ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom