Gekko, Archimedes II, or Mares Nemo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW i've dived a mosquito and recently upgraded to a D4... only because i could afford it and it felt good to buy myself something for a change...

that being said: i'd put my money on a suunto although i don't think a gekko allows for downloads... if you're looking for something more sporty and bang-for-buck i've used a Cressi Edy 1 and i REALLY liked it...

easy to read, setup and understand... and if you can find an Edy 1 it's only $300 or so... for some reason the Edy II is $500 and i don't see any diff in specs

Jag

I have a Mares Nemo Wide. I am really happy with this computer as I dive most days and I can't really have a computer which is too conservative. I like the screen which is easy to read and understand and the battery is very easy to change. It has a deep stop and also does nitrox. However, if you purchase the Nemo watch style computer, you will have to send it back to the supplier in order to change the bateries. I have seen two of these computers drowned after the owners changed the battery.

However, if you purchase the Nemo watch style computer, you will have to send it back to the supplier in order to change the bateries. I have seen two of these computers drowned after the owners changed the battery.

I've changed the bateries of my Archimede and didn't have any problem. However, they usually advise you to send it back to the supplier.

Once you go to electronic dive logging, you'll never look back. Once it's set up. it's far easier than writing all your dives into a logbook.

Oh, I guess I'm old fashioned.... I love drawing sketches and getting stickers to put on my logbook. That's why I didn't bother (at least for now!) getting a computer interface.

The nice part about electronic is that all info gets sent to the computer. You only type in the dive location. It's very easy. You also get to see what your profile looks like. Some allow you to see where you may have been rising too fast or other data.

The difference between the Cressi Edy I and II is probably the same as the Archimedes I and II. It supposedly runs algorithims for 12 tissue compartments over the previous models 9 to be more accurate.

The Archimedes is definitely too big to double as a watch. However I bought it to be a computer not a watch. It's a huge easily read display with a good backlight.

""

Probably just recreational. Maybe some of the entry level tech stuff, but by the time i get to that, I'll probably be looking to upgrade a lot of my gear, computer included. So I guess I just need a decent computer for recreational air/nitrox diving and to take on vacation (one of the appeals of the Nemo).

How conservative does Suunto tend to be? I'd rather have less built in conservativity (that's probably not a word :p) and just dive less than it says I can.

How useful is the PC downloadable feature? What's the benefit? Seems kind of like hassle compared to just writing down the info or typing it into a n excel file, especially if you change computers later on...
Computer download is nice as it will tell you some additional features, bells and whistles. The other advantage that I like about the computer download is the ability to view your tissue loading (which is just neat to see). As for the entry level tech stuff, both Suunto and Dive Rite carry computers with gas switching under water which is nice for entry level deco diving. Other brands carry this option as well, but my personal experiance is that the dispaly on these two models is fairly straight forward with big easy buttons for use with my gloves.

I believe the Gekko does download to a pc, you just have to use the Vyper cable and software. Or something like that. there is a hack out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom