GEM recreational rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure... with a SCR your FO2/PO2 is constantly changing, so you can't just set your nitrox computer for a specific mix or even a set PO2. For some reason most manufactures only sell o2 monitoring as an option.
The [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Teledyne AN-300 Nitrogen Sensor is (as far as I know) available, I'm not completely sure why it is not in use except that if what you are breathing is Oxygen and Nitrogen, and you know what the sum of Oxygen and Nitrogen is, it is rather straightforward to calculate the Nitrogen value. I'd rather have redundancy in [/FONT]my Oxygen sensor than be "in the know" with respect to my ppN2.

My Rebreather days were long ago, I have seen the ones I used for sale dirt cheap and still have no real thought of using, Is the GEM safe for rec divers and will they understand the importance of the extra care. If you dive all the time you have an advantage, we all get busy outside of diving and the care of any rebreather is very important to your life.

Don't get me wrong the rebreather is the cats ass, there's no doubt about it. I follow the the post and see that there needs to be special awareness and rec divers should manage this, I only remember of the most cases of letting the care down and it bit them hard in to a fatality.

I do wish the GEM does make an easier approach on some divers, Just as long as they take the time in the care of doing so.

Underestimating the problems and complexities of diving a CCR (of whatever flavor) is suicidal, and it appears to me that there seems to be an alarming propensity amongst the advocates of the "lower end" consumer units to soft pedal the issues.

This really is the key.
When rebreathers start being sold as a recreational tool for extending bottom time so that you are not the "outcaste" who runs out of gas and shamefully has to call the dive, you can almost feel how busy the accidents and incidents forum is going to get.

Dive a holic is obviously very experienced.

I doubt that the guys who wind up buying this unit are going to be close, from an experience point of view to even understand the world of trouble rebreathers can get them into.

Unfortunately with rebreathers, the problems are often as silent as the machine.

This GEM SCR is a recreational unit and the IANTD training is awesome. You guys need to see and understand that it is designed for open circuit divers to extend their bottom time. The bailout is open circuit to a large volume of 32% nitrox.

The GEM is a great introduction for these open circuit divers to look into the future of technical diving.

As a repeat of what I said before... this reminds me too much of what was said about the Drager Dolphin/Atlantis/Ray

Yes indeed.

As a repeat of what I said before... this reminds me too much of what was said about the Drager Dolphin/Atlantis/Ray

The GEM is all new technology and NO comparison to the old Drager units. I know as I own a Drager for many years. _JAY1315.jpg

Seriously...are you some kind of shill? Jetsam is a terrific company and their products can stand on their own merits. Your accolades without useful information like Fi02 aren't doing anyone/them a favor.

Pardon my ignorace but I have been trying to figure out from this thread and from the Kiss site the references of using the Gem with a Shearwater without success. Is there some sort of sensor that connects the two together or are they independent?

Bert

Hard wired, with cable, two wires per 02 sensor, number of sensors unit dependent
and-or personal choice dependant, 3 sensors seems to be the thing, number of ppo2
meters and-or computers user dependent, 2 or 3 or wired with 7 pin Fischer plug or
other and various combinations of all the above or then some and as always there's
more to come

I know nothing of the GEM yet.
Jetsam Technologies exceptional company

Please excuse my late edit, computer hiccups this morning, then me
hiccups as I ran my battery down trying to rectify, and then I had to
put on some shoes to go to court.

The above is a general rebreather monitor attachment explanation

Looking at the unit, it looks like a very tidy reliable package which if
used for what it has been designed will provide much fun especially
for those that have a distance to travel to difficult shore sites where
boat access may be an issue
It was a frustration of mine for many years, the extremes and effort
we go to to dive for a comparatively limited dive time be it shore or boat

Fortunately I have mostly lived by the shore and had access to others boats

Yesterday is yesterday, be it fact, fabrication or superstition and tomorrow is mostly dependant on the capability of the rebreather user today

The category of one who chooses to dive a RB today with todays units would suggest a far safer overall outcome considering the complexity
of some dives executed and certainly compared to multi bottled and multi gassed OC dives

I have no idea why I have suddenly chosen to post in a rebreather thread as there is plenty of action already in OC, other than I am quite
abrest of rebreather design mechanics operation and construction, is that in Russia or on a chest, and I own some.

So for only the second time I have posted without reading the complete thread, so soon it will be best that I do and do some research on
the GEM that I can really see one day hanging around strapped to my back when I make some room.

Thank you for your patience
if you made it
Court went fine thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom