General BC questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcclete22

Reaction score
So I am looking at possibly buying a BC and have some pretty basic questions. I have only ever used the kind my LDS has, so I don't know any of the advantages and disadvantages of different types and manufacturers. Since it is probably important to know here is some info:
I am a recreational diver, I am in Utah, so mostly cold water dives, I don't dive a whole lot as winter is a dominant season. But can and do travel a bit in the summer, mostly Hawaii.
So my question to all of you is what kind of BC do you dive with? Who is the manufaturer? Why do you like its features? Any general info is appreciated.
Thanks

Brand isn't as important as quality and fit. Find a BC that fits you well, that you like, that you can afford, and buy it! :) Features of different BCs are highly person and it'll be up to you to figure out if you want lots of pockets, lots of D-rings, a jacket style, a back-inflate style, a wing style, a Backplate and Wing type, etc., etc., etc. This is one item where there are literally too many choices, and you have to figure out what you want first, then narrow your choices to BCs with those features.

Sounds like you need a lighter BC for travel, so that narrows your choices down some. There's oodles of information on this board about back-inflate vs. jacket, so do a search for "back-inflate" and start reading. :D That'll help you narrow your choices down even further.

I'm female and I dive with a Zeagle Zena. For me its the best thing since sliced bread. It is a back-inflate/wing style of BC and very minimalistic. It fits perfectly and my trim in the water is perfect. I have never had a problem being thrown face first in the water, but I also never fully inflate my wing.

Zeagles are made in the USA, have a lifetime guarantee, and ScottZeagle is a member of this board and has offered unbelieveable customer service to other ScubaBoard members. I got my Zena from Larry at ScubaToys, who is also a member of this board and also provides amazing customer service that I've never had matched anywhere. Zeagles are modular in design, so not only can the body of the BC be mixed and matched with sizes to custom fit anyone, the bladder can be switched out for cold and warm water diving.

Personally, I'd recommend that you check out the Zeagle Escape. Great travel BC and excellent quality at a reasonable price. If you don't have an LDS that can help you get one, give Larry a shout and he'll ship one out to you. He'll even help you fit it over the phone, and ship out the proper components to custom fit it to your body.

mcclete22:
So I am looking at possibly buying a BC and have some pretty basic questions. I have only ever used the kind my LDS has, so I don't know any of the advantages and disadvantages of different types and manufacturers. Since it is probably important to know here is some info:
I am a recreational diver, I am in Utah, so mostly cold water dives, I don't dive a whole lot as winter is a dominant season. But can and do travel a bit in the summer, mostly Hawaii.
So my question to all of you is what kind of BC do you dive with? Who is the manufaturer? Why do you like its features? Any general info is appreciated.
Thanks

I started out with an Atlas BCD, which I really like, however when I bought my Dry Suit, the weight of the suit made it such that I needed to switch to another with a heavier lift capacity :11doh: . I then bought a Zeagle Ranger LTD from my local LDS. I have decided to sell the Atlas, only due to the multi abilities of the Zeagle. I really liked the Atlas, and it would work well for someone that dives in warmer waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom