General Exposure Gear Needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is what I am looking at for exposure protection... any feedback on shopping/gear list to fill in the blanks?

Warm water (Caribbean/Hawaii)

3mm (used vs new? any brand suggestions or things to watch out for?)
Hood (needed? 3mm vs 5mm vs none?)
gloves (needed?)

5:4 wetsuit (already own)
3mm booties (already own)

Cold Water (PNW)

$85 12mm Otterbay Custom Hood vs $40-$60 7mm hood

USIA Techniflex Drysuit (already own)
Drysuit boots installed in suit

Other
Is it worthwhile to own any other misc pieces of exposure protection or accessories, other gear in this department?

I have gloves and a hood for warm water. The hood is more for sun protection than anything. I used to go glove free, until my hands got cut up and infected on a mooring line on a high current dive.

Warm water (Caribbean/Hawaii)

3mm (used vs new? any brand suggestions or things to watch out for?)
Hood (needed? 3mm vs 5mm vs none?)
gloves (needed?)

5:4 wetsuit (already own)
3mm booties (already own)
It all depends. I have witnessed multiple Caribbean divers in swim trunks and tshirt only. One was on a liveaboard. I have also seen a drysuit in the Caribbean.

How many dives a day? How long are your dives?

If you have problems staying warm then I suggest a custom fit wetsuit for the Caribbean. 3mm full length should be enough, if it fits. No need for a hood if your wetsuit fits. Some (many?) places do not allow gloves.

I live in the caribbean and wear 1mm in the summer. I prefer to wear a 3mm full suit with 3mm hooded vest when the water gets to 78 degrees but sometimes wear my 5mm for a few months in the winter. Don't really need the hood very often. 3mm at other times. Gloves only when conditions warrant, like decending a mooring line or picking up underwater trash. I cannot speak for cold water exposure wear, I'm a wimp.

As far as new vs used, I would buy new. Wetsuits compress and lose their ability to keep you warm as they get older.

Back
Top Bottom