General questions for a new GoPro setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to try to shoot videos with a GoPro.

I didn’t want to invest in a real setup with an expensive camera so that seems sensible for me to start with a GoPro as an action camera.

It seems that there are many options, the ones I could buy in the UK are
  • Big Blue
  • F.I.T.
  • Light and Motion
  • Sealife
  • Weefine
I read a lot of threads on this forum but I find it hard to understand what would be a good starter setup.

I think I should buy:
  • A GoPro
  • The super suit
Then it becomes complicated, you need filters and/or lights and tray.

I think I want to go for a tray and a single light to start up.

I have a few questions:
  • What would be a good starting light that could be extended later with a second light ?
  • If you have two lights, do they need to be identical ? I guess if they have different luminosity you’ll get shades
  • Am I better off buying a cheap light or filters for now ? Then get a better setup when I get better ?
This package is for the US but it seems to be decent for the price:
Backscatter Sola 2000 Dual Video Light Package

Hi there,

I've been diving with a GoPro for a few years. I had a Hero4 Silver, but have recently upgraded to a Hero7 Black.

I have used the Backscatter Flipfilter system on the dive housing with good results:

The rig you posted looks really nice, but I really like my system which allows for getting up close and personal.

Rather than using a tray, I have used a SeaLife Aquapod mini extendable pole which allows me to get the camera up close to critters. The GoPro's wide field of view is great for capturing action shots, but for filming fish it can be tricky. I like the pole as I can use it to get up close and personal with critters without getting too close to the reef or scaring off whatever it is that I want to film.YOu can also use the pole to poke the GoPro into holes and under ledges to capture footage of elusive critters.

The only drawback has been a need for light when shooting under ledges where light isn't optimal. My solution: a SeaLife SeaDragon 2500 mounted on a small tray with the GoPro, all attached to the Aquapod mini. It will be useable like a normal tray, but compact and light enough to still use the pole to get it into small places. I'll take a photo when I get it all put together.

Your outlay for a Hero7 black, flip filters system, housing etc should be around $550US. I think that's a good place to start.

First question is what sort of diving are you envisioning? Shallow tropical day time dives, you don't really need lights at all. Filters, yes.

More than about 50' or in darker conditions, or in wrecks or whatever, you do need lights. One light is okay if sufficiently bright and wide angle. Two is better. Matching is nice but not required.

For me, on shallow tropical dives usually just a filter, though I have a Sidekick mounted on the housing to give me a little light if I need it. For lights, right now I just use 1 Sola 3000f with a very small tray. May go to a second for the wrecks.

I've used an extension pole (short) for a long time and it's "okay" but a tray is much more stable.

My advice is to start with a single high quality light than you can then add to later if you want rather than a pair of lesser lights that, ultimately, you'll wish you had upgraded from the beginning.

I would go with a tray and handle system regardless, as that's the most stable way to mount the GoPro. After that, like mentioned above you can alternate between filters and/or light combos depending on the diving you're doing: ambient, close subjects, or wide-angle. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom