• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

General Vortex Incident Discussion

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by sabbath999, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diverdoug1

diverdoug1 Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Most are recovered.

2. Cleavitt

Cleavitt Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Almost all are recovered. This is NOT a typical situation are far as the recovery effort goes. I only know of a few other cases where a recovery was not feasible or possible. Again, this isn't a typical recovery due to the location in the cave.

3. Rick Murchison

Rick Murchison Trusty Shellback Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    There is room for common sense...
    For example, if I were to run across a body/victim in a cave that I wasn't expecting and couldn't absolutely determine that it's dead, I for one will make every effort short of becoming a casualty myself to get the victim out, fast. If, on the other hand, it's definitely a body - due to obvious deterioration or prior knowledge (like in this case), then I'd mark its position with a line, try not to disturb anything, and notify the Sheriff after the dive.
    Rick

4. ScubaNurse758

ScubaNurse758 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I do hope that anyone considering a heroic recovery of this diver will do a quick search of David Shaw and his death in the attempt of a body that was considered unrecoverable.... And he was one of the most qualified for that type of recovery.

5. Matt P

Matt P Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Agreed...I'm just a plain old OW diver and that's what they look like to me. Single tanks, single + pony, one guy with doubles stirring up the bottom. Those videos really stressed me out.

6. Kevin Carlisle

Kevin Carlisle Loggerhead Turtle

That is a totally unique situation where depth is the determining factor, 800 plus ft. Its my opinion due to the extreme tightness of this cave that this dive is just as dangerous.

7. ScubaNurse758

ScubaNurse758 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    That was my point, equally dangerous, and probably more deceptively so because no extreme depth or distance is factored in.

8. BIGG_BUDD

BIGG_BUDD Solo Diver

Hi All -

Not a cave diver, but have a cave question - what if it's your buddy? What if something happens, suddenly, and they are not responding? Do you get them out of the cave, or do you run a line like Rick is suggesting?

I am thinking more along the lines of a crime scene. If you disturb it, you might become a suspect. Of course, if you don't move it, I guess you are still a suspect.

Thanks...

9. Meister481

Meister481 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Depends on the situation, If I have the gas required to do it myself, I'm dragging them out.

10. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    There is a big difference between a buddy who is suddenly not responding (which, sadly, can happen) while you are next to the person and someone you happen to find unexpectedly while diving. In the case of a buddy, you were there and know all the circumstances. In the case of the unexpected body, people have to examine clues to determine all the circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.