generic tube housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beezwax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has some experience with generic tube camcorder housings. I've done a search here and I've seen several different models mentioned, but no actual feedback. I'm specifically wondering about the really cheap $200-400 range. Anyone using an Atmo-Seal AquaVault? Has anyone tried a NEMO 200 off of eBay?

I was leaning towards trying an AquaVault, so I called up Atmo-Seal with a few questions, and it turns out they are not making this product anymore (even though the webpage is still up for some reason).

So....anyone have any comments on other tube housings?

I use a "Tube style" made by equinox that has served me well to date.
I had it made with every control available. If I had it all to do Over I'd would have only gotten the on/off, and zoom.
I'm using it with a Sony HDR HD1 HiDef, and two dive rite 50w lights.

I've seen Yellow Jacket mentioned, but their website seems to be dead so I'm wondering if they are even in business any more. I also checked out Aquatix, but after much deliberation I decided to go with Equinox. I ordered a ProPak 6 that should be here soon. It was about 2-3 times as much as I wanted to pay, but the build quality looks vastly superior and I think I will be happy with my decision.

Wow, I just received my Equinox ProPak 6 today, and it is amazing. It's amazing how disappointed I am. I ordered this as a package from B&H with a Panasonic PV-GS180 camcorder. Unfortunately they are closed at the moment so I couldn't call them immediately, but I did write a message to their customer support. I'll paste the message here as an FYI for anyone else considering the Equinox housing. For the price it is very disappointing. I think I will try the $250 NEMO 200 from eBay...

Message to B&H:
I just received this order today and there is a serious mistake. The camcorder appears fine although I have not had a chance to try filming yet. But the Equinox housing is an incorrect model. When I attach the camcorder to the interior tray via the pre-set pin and tripod screw and place the tray inside the housing, the camcorder sticks out about 2 inches beyond the front of the tube, meaning that there is no way to attach and close the front face plate/dome port. Also, the mechanical control arms for power, zoom, record, etc are not in the right places and do not reach the buttons on the camcorder. It is clearly the wrong housing. The box that it came in was correctly marked for the PV-GS180, and there is a GS180 sticker on the inside of the housing. There is also a sticker inside the housing that says HC96. I don't know if that may refer to the Sony DCR-HC96, which is very similar in size and shape to the Panasonic PV-GS180, but I suspect that is what happened.

So obviously I want to return this housing, but I do not wish to exchange it for a new one. On top of it being the wrong fit for the GS180 I was very unimpressed with the build quality and there are some flaws which make this housing unusable even if it had been the right model. One example which I noticed immediately is that the hole for the quick-release pin on the right wing/handle is over-bored. The left wing is fine, but the hole on the right side is too large, meaning the quick-release pin sits loosely in it and cannot serve its function of locking the wing in place. You should NOT resell this housing until these errors are fixed (you will need to replace the right wing entirely). Other examples, the holes for the handles are not drilled exactly perpendicular, which means they attach to the wings at a slightly off angle. That is not a critical flaw making the housing unusable, but is annoying, especially since I intended to attach strobe arms at these points, and that would result in the base adapters not seating flat on the wings but rather coming off at an angle. For the price of this housing it should not have such flaws.

So, this was purchased as a packaged kit. I would like to keep the camcorder but return the Equinox housing. The price of the camcorder alone (including shipping) is $390.20. The total price I paid for the package was $1189.60. Please credit my credit card for $799.40. Also, I do not feel I should have to pay the cost of return shipping for the housing, since the error was in no way mine. The housing is the wrong model, flawed, and entirely unacceptable.

Although I felt Equinox treated me poorly in regards to the monitor in my housing, the housing it self (also a pro Pack6) has served me well on hundreds of dives and has held up well. And to be honest, banging a round in my motorhome, and I'm not the most gentle person on equipment, it still looks and performs like new.
Like you I had intended ( and did) mount two HID lights on a slide bar I made and I also mounted the batteries to the slide bar and the wings are holding up well and are showing no wear.

But I was not spending your money, So I hope B&H satisfies your request. If not T.J. at equinox may help.

I know that in all likelihood I just got a lemon...I can see that if I had the right model to fit the camcorder, and one that did not have the flaws that I mentioned, it looks like it could be a solid piece of gear. But the deal-breaker for me was the useless quick-release pin. I don't know how it passed their quality control but the drill bit evidently wandered and made the hole large enough that the wing can't be locked in place by the pin. I could probably find some way to putty the hole and tighten up the bore, but for $800 it should not be necessary to fix it straight out of the box.

I don't know if the folks at Equinox are closed for the holidays or what, but I tried to call them on several different days last week and never got an answer. This was before I had even made my order with B&H, I just had some questions about their product. I called three different phone numbers. Two on their website-- one of which is disconnected and the other one reaches only an answering machine. I left my name and number-- no call back. The third number was actually given to me by a sales rep at B&H, a new number for Equinox that is not listed on their webpage. No answer at this number either. You can understand why I'm giving up on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom