Genesis 2.2 vs Seacraft vs Magnus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingx

Still breathing
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys, I'm planning to invest in a DPV. I had asked around about the best DPV in the market. I got recommendations on the new Genesis, Seacraft Future 1000 and Magnus. Does anyone have experienced these three? I'm living in Ontario so the scooter has to work in cold water, but I also do cave diving in Florida and Mexico. It is a big investment and it seems not possible to try all three in Ontario. Can someone share some thoughts on which one I should get? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm planning to invest in a DPV. I had asked around about the best DPV in the market. I got recommendations on the new Genesis, Seacraft Future 1000 and Magnus. Does anyone have experienced these three? I'm living in Ontario so the scooter has to work in cold water, but I also do cave diving in Florida and Mexico. It is a big investment and it seems not possible to try all three in Ontario. Can someone share some thoughts on which one I should get? Thanks in advance.

drop the Magnus. SS scooters haven’t really improved much in years and I think they’re behind the times. I’d top your list with the genesis then the seacraft though I haven’t tried either. It’s based on experiences of people I know. I’ve heard the seacraft is pretty pricey but not sure how true that is. In my opinion i would drop the Magnus as an option and consider a suex xk1 or xj37. The suexes sit more in line with the other two than the Magnus does

I love my 2xMagnus but all else equal, I’d go with one of the other two. It’s rugged but still feels like it was built in a garage and lacks many of the features of the Seacraft and Genesis. Had I not gotten such a deal on the Magnus, I’d have gone with the Genesis for the warpcore tech and the ability to run it dry and not destroy the shaft seals. If you’re out of the water for long periods of time, it’s kind of a pain to run down larger batteries to their preferred storage voltage without pool access. Eagerly awaiting Jon’s aftermarket warp core upgrade for the magnus.

Okay. Then if choosing one from Genesis and Seacraft, which one will you guys choose? And which one is easier when I need service?

You might want to message @Jon Nellis who designed and manufactures the Genesis

I've been looking to move on from my Sierra's for a while, with my primary choice was the Bonex Reference RS - which meets my circumstances of having the thrust for proper current, and the capacity for 3x 1 hrs dives per day without having to swap batteries etc

Jon was very free with his time, advice an assistance, especially with my concerns given the intense Middle East environment (Air and Water temps), which made Genesis a serious contender. He's not a pushy salesman and will absolutely give you answers and advice as well as info you might not get from elsewhere

Unfortunately Covid has pushed back the possibilities of a scooter upgrade for me until maybe next year :(

thirded for dropping the Magnus. It hasn't changed in the decade that it has been out except for the speed controller and while I think the speed controller is really nice and the trigger is really nice, it is definitely not worth investing in a new one.

One important thing to think about with all of these things is the battery packs. If they don't use an off the shelf pack, you a. can't fly with it, but b. if it fails, you're going to be in for a gargantuan investment. A replacement Magnus battery right now is $2250 for 888wh. If you had a Piranha P2 and needed to replace all of the batteries *800wh vs 888, but close enough*, you're in for less than $700. A replacement for the new Genesis 2.1 with individual Panasonic 3.4ah cells would be around $350 since you only need to buy 70 cells.

Right now my money goes to a company that does not have proprietary batteries.
If you aren't doing long range cave diving and aren't in horrific flow, then the DiveX Black tip gets my money. It uses standard Dewalt batteries, and if you get the expensive batteries you are in for less than $2500. $3k and you get a spare set of batteries. It has about half the range of the P2 or Genesis 2.1, but unless you need that range on a single dive I'd have a hard time recommending you buy a nearly $8k dpv.

thirded for dropping the Magnus. It hasn't changed in the decade that it has been out except for the speed controller and while I think the speed controller is really nice and the trigger is really nice, it is definitely not worth investing in a new one.

One important thing to think about with all of these things is the battery packs. If they don't use an off the shelf pack, you a. can't fly with it, but b. if it fails, you're going to be in for a gargantuan investment. A replacement Magnus battery right now is $2250 for 888wh. If you had a Piranha P2 and needed to replace all of the batteries *800wh vs 888, but close enough*, you're in for less than $700. A replacement for the new Genesis 2.1 with individual Panasonic 3.4ah cells would be around $350 since you only need to buy 70 cells.

Right now my money goes to a company that does not have proprietary batteries.
If you aren't doing long range cave diving and aren't in horrific flow, then the DiveX Black tip gets my money. It uses standard Dewalt batteries, and if you get the expensive batteries you are in for less than $2500. $3k and you get a spare set of batteries. It has about half the range of the P2 or Genesis 2.1, but unless you need that range on a single dive I'd have a hard time recommending you buy a nearly $8k dpv.
Thanks for the suggestion! I checked the specs for P1. Run Time at Cruise Speed is 122 mins. That doesn't sound enough to me. But if I buy another set of battery, the price would be closed to Genesis, right?

You can absolutely fly with the Genesis.

The Seacraft is from Finland. So if you need service you are in for very long shipping times, lots of customs and duties etc.

Genesis is in California. Yes there's still a border for you. BUT you could rent a mailbox in Michigan/NY etc, ground ship the Genesis both ways for FAR less. Then drive it over and back to get it minus the worst duties and border hassles.

Agree on dropping the Magnus from your list unless you can find a mint used one or something. I have a first generation Genesis now with the warpcore 2.2 inside - its brilliant

PS you do NOT want to fly a scooter to MX. There is a very good chance you will be absolutely slammed with duties and fees to even get it into the country. And their TSA is absolutely moronic about batteries so there's a good chance exiting will be super dicey

Back
Top Bottom