Geo 2 or Mares Smart Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to decide, I want easy to use and read, and reliable, they seem about the same size. I was told that Mares has had some computer issues.

Hi @Matt B

Same price, very similar design and function, different decompression algorithms. Geo 2 runs DSAT (liberal) and PZ+ (middle of the road). Smart runs Mares RGBM (conservative). Read up some on decompression algorithms, buy the one best for you and your diving

Hi @Matt B

Same price, very similar design and function, different decompression algorithms. Geo 2 runs DSAT (liberal) and PZ+ (middle of the road). Smart runs Mares RGBM (conservative). Read up some on decompression algorithms, buy the one best for you and your diving
Thanks, I am looking for something a bit on the liberal side.

We have the Oceanic Geo 2 and love them. Had Suunto before. Oceanic gives us double the bottom time. No problems with either computer and have had them for 6 plus years with A couple of hundred dives.

I am a pleased Mares Smart DC owner. Mares has the most liberal RGBM algorithm on a DC that I know of, but it is still going to be slightly more conservative than the PZ+. Both are excellent choices for cold-water diving or deep rec dives. DSAT is specifically designed for repetitive warm-water diving.

I understand the Mares to have slightly higher quality construction than the Oceanic. If you have problems, though, I understand Mares can be a pain to get warranty work done with. Ultimately, though, they are very very close.

I would suggest matching the algorithm to the diving you do. DSAT in particular is designed to do one type of diving well, and will punish others. Having the choice is very nice. But unless I was doing that type of diving, I would just buy whichever one was on sale - which I did, and it was the Mares. gl

I am a pleased Mares Smart DC owner. Mares has the most liberal RGBM algorithm on a DC that I know of, but it is still going to be slightly more conservative than the PZ+. Both are excellent choices for cold-water diving or deep rec dives. DSAT is specifically designed for repetitive warm-water diving.

I understand the Mares to have slightly higher quality construction than the Oceanic. If you have problems, though, I understand Mares can be a pain to get warranty work done with. Ultimately, though, they are very very close.

I would suggest matching the algorithm to the diving you do. DSAT in particular is designed to do one type of diving well, and will punish others. Having the choice is very nice. But unless I was doing that type of diving, I would just buy whichever one was on sale - which I did, and it was the Mares. gl
Your post makes little sense. The most liberal RGBM algorithm is Atomic, Mares is quite conservative. DSAT is mainly for recreational, no stop, diving, that is what it was developed for. I have never heard of a construction differential between Oceanic and Mares. What type of diving does DSAT "punish", repetitive deco, maybe. I don't think most of your advice is valid, perhaps trying to rationalize your own purchase?

Your post makes little sense. The most liberal RGBM algorithm is Atomic, Mares is quite conservative. DSAT is mainly for recreational, no stop, diving, that is what it was developed for. I have never heard of a construction differential between Oceanic and Mares. What type of diving does DSAT "punish", repetitive deco, maybe. I don't think most of your advice is valid, perhaps trying to rationalize your own purchase?
Everything I said is backed by the research I did before I bought a DC - I am not an expert, but nothing I say comes out of thin air. I never see divers using Atomic DC's so their algorithm is somewhat irrelevant, I read two tests putting DC's through test dives and Mares was only slightly more conservative than PZ+ in those tests, Oceanic owners tended to need to replace their DC's more frequently than Mares owners in the reviews I read, DSAT punished heavily in the deco test, and if you imagine I need your validation of past purchases you can go jump in a lake.

My interest in attempting informed conversation ends when you make a personal attack by suggesting my observations on the OP's topic are colored by what you imagine to be my shortcomings as a human being. End of discussion.

IMG_0317.JPG

Source: Dual Algorithm - Oceanic UK

Personally I’ve never thought the idea of a less conservative algorithm to be a good idea as I’d always rather err on the side of caution with my health. Dive computers have been designed to work for any diver and let you strap it on and stay safe on the dive even if you stick right up to the limits but everybody ranges in their susceptibility to Decompression Sickness. That being said it is a useful feature to be able to pick and choose your algorithm to match your buddy or the diving conditions you’re diving in.
https://www.simplyscuba.com/blog/algorithms-and-the-modern-diver/

To the OP: LeisurePro is selling off Mares Puck Air, if I wanted a low-end console computer I'd buy that one because it combines the SPG and DC in one slimline instrument.

To the OP: LeisurePro is selling off Mares Puck Air, if I wanted a low-end console computer I'd buy that one because it combines the SPG and DC in one slimline instrument.
I will check that out, Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom