George Purifoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just spoke to Nima at the shop this morning and was told the basic details about George’s passing

Although my experiences with Olympus Dive Center only goes back a few years, I am still in shock over this. I will miss those conversations on finding the wrecks they visit and his continued enthusiasm for diving them. His presence will be deeply missed.

Olympus Dive Center has posted a photo tribute on their website.

Also, instead of sending flowers, the Purifoy family as set fund through DAN. To contribute, 1-800-446-26
71, press 9 then ex 445

Walt Stearns
Editor-in-Chief
Underwaterjournal

George was a great leader, mentor and friend. Whether you ever dove off the Olympus or not, George's reach touched every diver in North Carolina and beyond, and instilled in many of us our passion for the wrecks off Morehead City and their history. I thank the lucky stars that I met George over 30 years ago and had the opportunity to spend 3 of the last 4 weekends with him on ther Olympus. My thoughts and prayers are with Bobby, his family and the entire Olympus crew.

George - you will be missed and always remembered.

A sad time for the diving community indeed. You will be missed George! And best wishes and prayers for the Purifoy and Olympus family.

Sadness

I am saddened and stunned to lose a friend and fellow diver and mentor. I will miss talking to George in the shop or on the dock. My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

Unbelievable; two months ago I didn't know who George Purifoy was; I made the very first dive in my life on August 8, and on Sunday, September 15 I was on the Midnight Express for my first ever boat dive; Bobby Purifoy was the skipper. During the surface interval he told me the complete story of his father, U-352 and Loran C. Around 3 pm we returned to the dock, said goodbye and left for the drive back to Washington, D.C. Monday night I went back to the Olympus website to confirm the name of one of the wrecks we dove, and... wow! He really must have been an outstanding individual.

I just saw over on TDS that George's last dive was on the U-352. How very fitting.

:depressed:

Wow........condolences to the Purifoy family. I dove with George and crew maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was a tough time weather wise and we had to dodge storms due to a few hurricanes passing up the coast at the time. Due to his fantastic navigational skills and determination we got to dive 2 out of the 4 days of our trip. My tank took a dive to the deck on the rough ride out, bent my reg yoke and he was kind enough to tear down his own reg so I could salvage a dive. He really went the extra mile for us all on that trip. I also remember him jumping in with his doubles and a crow bar and coming back on deck with a guage or something. I was still a faily new diver at the time and was like "wow this guy is hardcore!". I'm glad I got to meet him and dive the wrecks with him and his crew.

God Bless

Wow this is sad news and unexpected. It has been a couple years since I have dove with Olympus, but I used to go out with them about 4 times a year. I remember doing lobster dives with George and him giving me some tips on catching the bugs. I remember one trip in particular when about 10 of us went down and nobody got a bug, then after all the passengers were on board George dove in and came up with 2.. he was such an amazing diver and a great person. We will miss you.

Some of my memories with George over the years.

The ocean was really bad and he asked if we still wanted to go out, we said yes. Most of the divers were losing their lunch, half went in on the first dive. There were large sharks every where, the next dive most divers went in and no sharks.

After two good dives I had two nice grouper and a couple flounder. George came up with more and larger fish in one dive, and he went in after everyone was done diving.

Being on the bridge and listening to his stories about the best dives of the year, and stories of how he found the U352 and kept it secret from other dive operators for awhile.

What I'll miss

Talking, learning, sharing, and seeing him.

Knowing him has enriched my life!

Dennis Kaleta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom