Georgia diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about putting Ft Gordon and maybe Ft Benning as choices for my next station. Anyone know about the Georgia atlantic coast diving?

I'm not sure about the diving off the coast of Georgia, but the diving is great here in Florida. Lots of pristine fresh water dives. Ft Rucker, AL is really close for some great diving. Not a far drive from Ft Gordon or Bennning either.

Tracy, there is very little in the way of diving in GA, period. I understand there is a small reef system almost 2 hours' boat ride from from Tybee Island (Savanah area), but it doesn't sound all that great. Look for info on Gray's (or Grey's) Reef.

I understand there may be a spot or two in AL, and FL is definitely a diver's haven...

~SubMariner~

There may not be as much diving here in Geogia as coastal areas, however I live in Augusta, Ga, where Ft. Gordon is located and diving is very big here. We can make a weekend trip to Florida, and in South Carolina off Myrtle Beach I am told there are some wreck dives available. Right in our own backyard is Lake Thurmond, or Clark's Hill to us old time residents and the Savannah River. Some don't like river or lake dives as the vis is not as good, but others just seem to love it. It is a personal choice. I can't really speak much for the rest of Georgia but I do know that it is a very popular sport in Augusta. By the way my dive shop tells me there are three chambers here, so we must have quite a few divers around. One of which is located at the Ft. Gordon site. Where ever you are stationed happy diving to you. Remember a bad day diving is still a better day than being at work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom