• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Get the DAN insurance

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by shadling, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Christi

Christi PADI MSDT/Dive op owner ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Ok - Heidi and Dr. Piccolo are above board and also AMAZING at what they do - he's been treating DCS for over 2 decades and treated me 2 of my 3 Type II DCS hits - I was treated with 9 rides back in 2002 which was well before DAN imposed these limitations.

Wishing you a full recovery and I am glad to hear you had excellent care

2. Cozdreamer

Cozdreamer Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    to the original poster, Shadling, HOW IS YOUR WIFE DOING NOW? I have kept you both in my thoughts and prayers...

KathyV likes this.
  3. jbjclj

jbjclj Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I had 11 treatments at the international hospital. Dan would not approve over 7 unless I went to see Dr Gomez. After his evaluation, he concurred that I needed more treatment. Paralysis and other symptoms. Dan picked up $11,000 after our primary paid $44,000

CajunDiva, Christi and KathyV like this.
  4. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

Is Dr. Piccolo at Clinica Medica San Miguel Calle 6 Norte #132? Mary has been there annually for three years for ear problems. Each time we sat right next to the hyperbaric chamber with the little fishies painted on it. I was beginning to think that this might be where you go when the other chambers are full. :wink: In any case she got excellent treatment from a woman who's name I can't remember (but should know) but I think she is a physician's assistant.

flyboy08 likes this.
  5. JohnN

JohnN ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    A minor quibble but it is Physician Assistant. (Notice caps and no possessive tense)

JamesBon92007 likes this.
  6. yle

yle Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    And from now on I want people to capitalize Scuba Instructor.

Brodydog and KathyV like this.
  7. Brodydog

Brodydog Barracuda

What’s wrong with scuba’s instructor?

8. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

But of course, every letter of SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) should be capitalized.

dberry likes this.
  9. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I would totally concur with this. Although my experience has been over rather less years than Christi, the few DCS incidents i've witness have been directly attributed to burning the candle at both ends rather than a underwater incident.

Christi's advice of having a day's rest, or skipping a dive if you feel less than 100% - especially in the morning is spot on.

KathyV likes this.
  10. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

After my first couple of trips to Cozumel I decided to just rest the first full day, with it being three hours earlier than I'm used to plus I just don't quite feel 100% after being in cars and shuttles and airplanes and buses and ferries and taxis all day. One time I was staying at SCC and then went to Los Alcatraces for an additional week and SCC let me come and do the dive that I had remaining even though I wasn't still staying at the club. It was no problem other than trying to find a taxi on a Sunday morning :wink: Plus, after diving with Blue XT Sea I've been following their standard procedure of extending the safety stop to five minutes--why not? This time of the year I'm not doing my swimming of 50 laps 3-4 times a week because my pool is simply too cold so I figure I'm not in quite as great of condition as I am the rest of the year so a little extra conservatism can't hurt. My idea of "hard liquor" is limonada con soda or jamaica so I don't need to worry about the dehydration factor. I've also noticed that every year I'm older than the previous year. We've also been skipping a day here and there instead of doing two or three dives a day, day after day. We have to stay on the island longer to do this so we aren't suffering too badly. Sometimes after about the fourth or fifth consecutive day I feel like I could use a break anyway plus there are still many restaurants we haven't even tried yet.

ccannon707 and KathyV like this.