Get the DAN insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Christi!

My treatment was overseen by Dr Piccolo (I can't recall the name of the woman doctor who was my primary physician). His wife, Heidi, told me that DAN does not normally approve the 8th treatment. She told me to appeal and normally they would approve. At the time, I was still weak and had problems with my balance. In addition, my right hand was partially numb. No mention of Dr Gomez that I can remember. I was pretty bad off when I was admitted. I was told it was the worst case they had seen in a few years. I still have partial numbness in my hand.

IMO, I couldn't have asked for better treatment from the hospital staff, my doctor, Dr Piccolo and Heidi. Better treatment than I can ever remember receiving here in the states.

I also had Allianz Travel Insurance through my air carrier. They covered the last treatment. currently fighting DAN for my extra stay as well as needing to rebook my flight through another carrier.

Edit : I was partially paralyzed when I was admitted.

Ok - Heidi and Dr. Piccolo are above board and also AMAZING at what they do - he's been treating DCS for over 2 decades and treated me 2 of my 3 Type II DCS hits - I was treated with 9 rides back in 2002 which was well before DAN imposed these limitations.

Wishing you a full recovery and I am glad to hear you had excellent care

to the original poster, Shadling, HOW IS YOUR WIFE DOING NOW? I have kept you both in my thoughts and prayers...

I suffered a type 2 DCS accident in Cozumel this past August. I had the DAN Preferred Plan coverage. I had 8 chamber rides for my treatment. Prior to my last chamber treatment, I was informed (by the hospital staff) that DAN would probably deny coverage for this last treatment as they had done this numerous times before. This was typical of their coverage, even though I was well under the $250,000 dollar limit. Apparently, 7 treatments is DAN's limit, regardless of medical necessity. I appealed the decision but my appeal was denied. On the hook for $3000+ for the last treatment.
I had 11 treatments at the international hospital. Dan would not approve over 7 unless I went to see Dr Gomez. After his evaluation, he concurred that I needed more treatment. Paralysis and other symptoms. Dan picked up $11,000 after our primary paid $44,000

Ok - Heidi and Dr. Piccolo are above board and also AMAZING at what they do - he's been treating DCS for over 2 decades and treated me 2 of my 3 Type II DCS hits - I was treated with 9 rides back in 2002 which was well before DAN imposed these limitations.

Wishing you a full recovery and I am glad to hear you had excellent care

Is Dr. Piccolo at Clinica Medica San Miguel Calle 6 Norte #132? Mary has been there annually for three years for ear problems. Each time we sat right next to the hyperbaric chamber with the little fishies painted on it. I was beginning to think that this might be where you go when the other chambers are full. :wink: In any case she got excellent treatment from a woman who's name I can't remember (but should know) but I think she is a physician's assistant.

Is Dr. Piccolo at Clinica Medica San Miguel Calle 6 Norte #132? Mary has been there annually for three years for ear problems. Each time we sat right next to the hyperbaric chamber with the little fishies painted on it. I was beginning to think that this might be where you go when the other chambers are full. :wink: In any case she got excellent treatment from a woman who's name I can't remember (but should know) but I think she is a physician's assistant.
A minor quibble but it is Physician Assistant. (Notice caps and no possessive tense)

And from now on I want people to capitalize Scuba Instructor.
But of course, every letter of SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) should be capitalized.

Based on my observations over the last 17 years of being an Instructor and owning my operation, I'd say MOST cases of DCS in Cozumel are from dehydration. People don't take the intensity of the sun seriously here, they overindulge in alcohol and don't hydrate properly.

People really underestimate how air travel dehydrates. Pair that with usually not much sleep and stress of getting ready for vacation in the days leading up to it - recipe for DCS.

I would totally concur with this. Although my experience has been over rather less years than Christi, the few DCS incidents i've witness have been directly attributed to burning the candle at both ends rather than a underwater incident.

Christi's advice of having a day's rest, or skipping a dive if you feel less than 100% - especially in the morning is spot on.

I would totally concur with this. Although my experience has been over rather less years than Christi, the few DCS incidents i've witness have been directly attributed to burning the candle at both ends rather than a underwater incident.

Christi's advice of having a day's rest, or skipping a dive if you feel less than 100% - especially in the morning is spot on.

After my first couple of trips to Cozumel I decided to just rest the first full day, with it being three hours earlier than I'm used to plus I just don't quite feel 100% after being in cars and shuttles and airplanes and buses and ferries and taxis all day. One time I was staying at SCC and then went to Los Alcatraces for an additional week and SCC let me come and do the dive that I had remaining even though I wasn't still staying at the club. It was no problem other than trying to find a taxi on a Sunday morning :wink: Plus, after diving with Blue XT Sea I've been following their standard procedure of extending the safety stop to five minutes--why not? This time of the year I'm not doing my swimming of 50 laps 3-4 times a week because my pool is simply too cold so I figure I'm not in quite as great of condition as I am the rest of the year so a little extra conservatism can't hurt. My idea of "hard liquor" is limonada con soda or jamaica so I don't need to worry about the dehydration factor. I've also noticed that every year I'm older than the previous year. We've also been skipping a day here and there instead of doing two or three dives a day, day after day. We have to stay on the island longer to do this so we aren't suffering too badly. Sometimes after about the fourth or fifth consecutive day I feel like I could use a break anyway plus there are still many restaurants we haven't even tried yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom