Get the DAN insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just renewed my DAN insurance, which I've had since 2003. It said my level (the top one) was no longer available, and I could only choose between the lowest and middle. It did have a choose-your-State drop-down menu, which I don't recall from before. Are some states limited as to what they can purchase?

I just renewed my DAN insurance, which I've had since 2003. It said my level (the top one) was no longer available, and I could only choose between the lowest and middle. It did have a choose-your-State drop-down menu, which I don't recall from before. Are some states limited as to what they can purchase?

From other posts here, that now appears to be the case.

Thanks. I must have missed that. I read all of this just looking for information on the OP's wife, and not paying attention to the renewal options.

Speaking of, has anyone heard an update about the OP's wife?

Edit: Just re-read entire thread, but didn't find anything about different states having different options except Florida not having the lowest option. I was not offered the Preferred (highest) plan when renewing, and that's what I've had before. I still got the Master, but am curious why some states wouldn't be applicable for the highest coverage.

I've opted for the $75 Preferred plan for several years. Never needed to use it, but this thread has me looking again at what exactly is covered. The membership provides $100K evacuation coverage. The Dive Insurance provides $250K Medical Dive Accident Coverage. That seems to cover it... what am I missing by not getting the Guardian @ $125? TIA

From other posts here, that now appears to be the case.

It must vary by location. Our policies are not due for renewal for several months, but I went to their website and selected "United States" and "Illinois" and the usual 3 policy choices popped up, see below. We have the middle "preferred" plan.

DANinsurance.jpg

I just found a terrific discussion on it, including an attached PDF comparing all of the states. DAN Insurance Changes?

I am in one of only a few states that no longer offer Guardian or Preferred. Hopefully I'll never need it, but will settle for Master this year.

We have the Master which for NYC residents is identical to your preferred...

Our insurance was through Medicare United Health Care PLAN F. Plan F covers issues when you are out of the US. Our insurance picked up $44,000 and Dan covered the remaining costs. Your primary insurance is the first to be paid. If you travel out of the country frequently, you should check your policy coverage

You have just about used your lifetime Plan F coverage for emergency care outside of the USA.
Total bill ~55k, PlanF deductible ~11k, paid ~44k, you have ~7.5 gross remaining for lifetime out of USA use.​

Of note for expats is the first 60 day limitation on Medigap plan coverage.

In the grand scheme of life, $50k isn't a significant amount of coverage. I doubt a foreign provider would accept a Medigap assignment.

Medicare Coverage Outside the United States

"Medigap plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, and N pay 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year. These Medigap policies cover foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn’t otherwise cover the care. Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000."​

Don't think so! I am 74 and have over 1000 dives. I had a touch of "turistas" and took azithromycin (like cipro) that cured it, but dehydration was probably a major factor as Christi said.

What part of "probably" was unclear. I didn't say "all". Your example and a few others doesn't negate that.

Once again thank you to everyone for keeping my wife in your thoughts and prayers.
KathyV: her last dive of the day (two tank dive) was quite ordinary. 51ft max depth, 75 min duration, 1hr 35min surface interval.

Yes...that does seem quite ordinary. Any information on the first dive? Did you notice anything about her ascent rates?

Praying she's all better with no residual effects. Every lesson learned can be beneficial to the next potential victim, and skin bends seem to be more common in my recent experience...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom