Getting a SoCal dive Nov1/2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsinhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to be on a business trip to US, and will be there during the weekend of Nov 1/2. I will be staying in Corona, CA.

Any recommendations of a decent dive operation where I can get a dive in, and what sites or particular things should I make an effort to see/do? I'm actually not fussed if boat dove or shore dive, we mostly shore dive here, just I would like to get wet and add a new location. Even a friendly group who is accepting of visitors. I was certified in Jan, did adv in feb, with 54 dives under my belt.

As far as gear, worthwhile dragging over from Asia? or just rent? also I see the ave water's cold (18C) by that time.. well relatively lol.. we were diving today with 26C water and there was already talk of it being cold.. anyway i digress.. what suit do you use at that time 5mm+hood?

Thks & appreciate any advice.

Kevin

Conditions at the park (and elsewhere on Catalina) have been pretty fantastic with the warm water and good visibility. Unfortunately that also means less kelp forest.

For someone on the mainland looking to dive Catalina, another option is to take one of the mainland dive boats out of Long Beach/San Pedro and come over for 3-4 boat dives off our island.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. After posting I saw Catalina seemed to be popular location and that a 7mm would be common at that time if year.

Boat dive out of the mainland sounds like a convenient option if doing just the one day, I assume most would be diving dry on a 3~4 dive trip?

Most of us dive wet here, but there are a large group of drysuit divers. From Corona, it will take 30-60 minutes to get to Laguna Beach. There are multiple groups that dive from shore weekly here. They are new diver friendly and make a great way to get in a dive that is navigated by a local. Sport Chalet as well as any local dive shops will have rental gear. Keep in mind that most rentals are Yoke valve and AL 80 tanks. Those of us that dive the coast prefer the smaller and less buoyant HP80. Send me a PM if you want more information on local clubs in the Laguna Beach area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom