Getting a Tourist Visa for PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyQuest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone tell me the process by which a US citizen gets a tourist visa for PNG? I was planning on getting it at the Port Morsby airport. I've understood that it was fast and easy, but now I'm hearing that it could be the opposite. Has anyone obtained one at the airport recently? I dove there in 2006 and seem to recall it wasn't an issue, but I really don't remember, plus things could have changed.

Thanks a lot.

I dived PNG in June 2018 and as an Australian citizen was again eligible for Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Moresby... USA is the same.
Countries allowed to obtain Visas on Arrival
  1. All Pacific countries
  2. All Western European countries
  3. All Americans
  4. New Zealand
  5. Australia
  6. Israel
Papua New Guinea visa | Papua New Guinea Tourism | Papua New Guinea Travel

There was a small queue at the VOA booth but we were held up for 30mins because of some problem with the Swiss guy in front. He also had to pay a large sum in USD.
When it was my turn the process only took a few minutes and we headed through Immigration to our bags quickly.

Actually the biggest problem by far on my PNG trip was baggage allowance policy at regional airports like Rabaul connecting to my return international flight... the Air Niugini checking clerk wanted to charge me an exorbitant fee for excess baggage as the normal domestic limit is only 16kg!
I kept trying to explain it was SCUBA/sporting equipment and covered under their policy but she either didn't believe me or wasn't aware of the airline's policy.

Part of the problem was I like to travel with my dive gear in a non-logo-branded bag and she didn't see it as sporting equipment until I opened it in front of her supervisor.

In future I will get a hard copy of the Air Niugini policy and carry it with me.

Conditions of Carriage

Additional Free Baggage

• A fully collapsible wheelchair and/or a pair of crutches if the passenger is dependent on this for both domestic and International travel
  • 10kg of any sporting equipment or 15kg of scuba diving equipment may be included in the passenger’s free baggage allowance for International travel. Weight in excess will be assessed at the applicable excess baggage charges. This allowance also applies to domestic travel in conjunction with international journey, provided that tickets are not issued separately. If international and domestic tickets are issued separately, they must be cross-referenced

Thanks much. I guess I'll just have to hope the lines are short. Good idea about bringing a copy of their weight restrictions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom