Getting AOW!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally feel SDI’s approach is more appropriate. Having completed PADI’s AOW course (for the most part) I would not consider myself an advanced diver.

You can finish your AoW with Padi having 9 dives total under your belt. I would not consider anyone with 9 dives an advanced diver. AoW should provide you with some groundwork to practice that can then help you to become an advanced diver later on. But finishing the AoW course will not mean you are an advanced diver.

You can finish your AoW with Padi having 9 dives total under your belt. I would not consider anyone with 9 dives an advanced diver. AoW should provide you with some groundwork to practice that can then help you to become an advanced diver later on. But finishing the AoW course will not mean you are an advanced diver.
Interesting point.

I did not read all the page's but for a newbie diver buoyancy control will give you more bang for the buck than anything else. Perfecting that will make your dives longer and more enjoyable than anything else. A badge does not make you a better diver --- experience does. My dive buddy of 30 years only has ow certification, over 600 dives and is a better dive buddy than a friend who is a dive master with less than 100 dives. Education is great, experience is better. Peace, love and go forth and blow lots of bubbles. Bill

Today was supposed to be Deep and S+R, but ended up being Deep and Drift (due to conditions, but not what I had signed up for). So it’s hard to read the right material before we dive.

Before AOW I had read and completed the assignments before I got into the water for the class. Not that that helps you now, but finish the manual as it may help you later. Any information you pick up reading may help later diving. Used book stores and eBay are handy for cheap manuals, you don't need an instructor to learn. The older manuals are pretty close to the new ones, but without all the pictures.

This instructor just sucks. No matter what I say he has to find a way to make it sound like I don’t know or he’s right.

See, your learning about Scuba already, not all of it is enjoyable. Just focus on what you can learn from him, and you never have to see him again, if that's your choice.

I feel like it’s a waste of money, but the reality is I’m getting experience diving. I can’t wait to get this over with and find someone else to dive with.

Just remember that feeling of wasting money as you make your next training decision, it should help when finding the next instructor.

Get out and dive any chance you get and before you know it you will have a group of buddys to choose from.

Bob

Yeah, agree with all that. When I did AOW I was fairly sure what the 5 dives would be, but I did the Knowledge Reviews for all the dives in the book. What the heck, couldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom