Getting back on the horse after tragedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thisguy

Registered
Reaction score
I've not been on this board for about 2 1/2 years. I was just getting started with diving after being medically retired from the army after having liver cancer. I was actually certified by a program geared towards soldiers recovering from injury or illness. Within 4 months of retiring I was involved in a dive accident. My dive partner, my uncle, who been there for me at times when no one else was died quite literally in my arms.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pu...sugar-creek-volunteer-fire-department-oh.html

Sometimes the storm doesn't pass, but life goes on. So I've decided I need to get back and continue with what I've started.

Only you know when you are ready. It is a hard thing to recover from. People can come up with all sorts of platitudes most will never know what it feels like fortunately!

I hope you are able to find the joy and peace of the sport again.:flowers:

That's pretty tough man, in many ways. I don't have a history to relate to it or comprehend it really, but wish you the best getting started again and belated condolences on your uncle.

Welcome back. There isn't much of anything harder than the tragedy you described and the long road back from it. Hope you find peace in your renewal of diving.

Time does not heal all wounds, but it does make them more bearable. I hope your return to diving will in some way be a tribute to your uncle. May I ask you make it a tribute to all us cancer survivors as well. I am still in my battle, but knowing you may return gives me a little more resolve.
DivemasterDennis

Years ago my regulator stopped delivering air at about 80 ft and I had foolishly discarded my pony bottle for that dive. I made an emergency ascent from that depth and every time I descended after that I had a mild anxiety attack. It only happened on the descent... once I was at depth it went away. It took nearly 6 months before these attacks went away (although they were never debilitating).

I'd ease back into diving given that your incident involved the death of a family member. Keep dives reasonably shallow and buddy up with a proficient diver... but don't give up altogether!

very courageous of you to get back into it. just making that decision deserves respect. good for you. good luck. take it slow

Dr.Bill, were you using an upflow reg? And were you diving with a buddy at the time? Was it a buoyant ascent? It's rare or I wouldn't ask.

Back
Top Bottom