Getting bent again...what's the story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
Hmm that's an interesting perspective. Do you have any medical documentation references or materials to support this conclusion?

There are endless books and articles stating how bubbles come out of solution and "can" cause nerve/tissue damage resulting into DCI. With any form or nerve/tissue damage this takes time to heal. Scar tissue is formed and may or may not form back to its original surface tension capabilities (More sensitive to further damage) logic tells me "if another free-radical (Bubble) comes along, this can disrupt the healing process or cause more damage to the sensitive scar tissue from the previous hit"
Please be aware that on every dive there is always some sort of tissue damage due to bubbles in the system, however the body is dealing with it, for a DCS hit we are looking at more than one locolised major damaged area and the consiquenses of all this damage leads to hypoxia (Sign & symptoms occur) if not treated can lead to anoxia (no O2) where perminate damage/server hits occur.
In away you can look at a hernia after surgery for example; it has a high chance or reopening the scar tissue later on in life if you aggravate it. But remember this is only 1 scar tissue compared to DCS multiple tissus damage.

Please note this is MY PERSONAL point of view, after working for 4 years in the field as a Diver Medic and dealing with over 100 DCI cases, with only 3 out of the one hundred being 2nd time hits.

Made for it,
Diver Medical Technician (DMT)

dreammermaid:
I find this discussion of interest as I am now in the 'dcs' group. I got dcs 11 after a deserved hit. Dragged down very deep, came up without deco stops. I recently made my 1st pool dive since the accident 11 months ago. I have decreased feeling a bit in my legs and numb ankles. Still getting better everyday. Previously I was an instructor and loved my job.

I've wondered about the chances of getting another hit. I know if you get one the chances of recovery are decreased. I love diving and want to continue but trying to figure out the safest way to return has been conflicting. Some people I heard from just 'got back to diving'. Others did extensive pool dives on high o2 first. A friend of a friend made his first dive 50 feet for 45 minutes and got bent again so I definitely want to be more conservative in the beginning. But then I know everyone is so different you can't generalize. Anyone had experience returning to diving after DCS?

This case with your friend is a very unfortunate one, however very rare. This really brings a question to mind:
Is there a medical issue going on here i.e. a PFO? With out any details there’s not much I can add.

Anyone had experience returning to diving after DCS?
No one can really answer this question, from their experience because everyone is different, this is a case for you and your DMO to discuss in detail, and stick to what he or she advises. I would advise no diving till the decreased feeling in your legs and numb ankles completely resolve (this is telling me there is still nerve damage in play) if its getting better everyday then chille out for abit.

Made for it,

dreammermaid:
I find this discussion of interest as I am now in the 'dcs' group. I got dcs 11 after a deserved hit. Dragged down very deep, came up without deco stops. I recently made my 1st pool dive since the accident 11 months ago. I have decreased feeling a bit in my legs and numb ankles. Still getting better everyday. Previously I was an instructor and loved my job.

I've wondered about the chances of getting another hit. I know if you get one the chances of recovery are decreased. I love diving and want to continue but trying to figure out the safest way to return has been conflicting. Some people I heard from just 'got back to diving'. Others did extensive pool dives on high o2 first. A friend of a friend made his first dive 50 feet for 45 minutes and got bent again so I definitely want to be more conservative in the beginning. But then I know everyone is so different you can't generalize. Anyone had experience returning to diving after DCS?

This case with your friend is a very unfortunate one, however very rare. This really brings a question to mind:
Is there a medical issue going on here i.e. a PFO? With out any details there’s not much I can add.

Anyone had experience returning to diving after DCS?
No one can really answer this question, from their experience because everyone is different, this is a case for you and your DMO to discuss in detail, and stick to what he or she advises. I would advise no diving till the decreased feeling in your legs and numb ankles completely resolve (this is telling me there is still nerve damage in play) if its getting better everyday then chille out for abit.

Made for it,

MonkSeal:
I can hardly believe that this can happen without additional physiological cause. Sorry, but it looks more like "friend of friend" type of story.

Well I WAS bent about 16 years ago on a profile that most would agree it was impossible to get bent from but I ended up with type II dcs.. I never recovered 100%, but pretty close..

I can make a good guess why I was bent.. I had alot of factors against me that just stacked up...

For many years after this (and still today).. I do dives with some VERY agressive profiles.. I have never been bent since then (although I have had a few dives with some minor symptoms that quickly ressolved) and these were BIG dives with agressive deco schedules with high He content in the bottom mix.. Sometimes staying in the water longer increase the overall risk of the dive more than an agressive schedule may increase the risk of DCS..

I routinely do dives that require atleast 3 hours of deco on an agressive schedule, and have done dives with more than double this..
I personally feel one of the most important things a diver can do to reduce their risk is make sure they are properly hydrated.. If you don't have to pee 10 minutes into the dive, chances are you are not properly hydrated..

Alsof rom experience I see too many divers ascending to fast from their safety stop to the surface.. The area where they should be doing the slowest ascent they are doing the fastest.. AT a minum it should take 1 minute to get from a 20 fsw safety stop to the surface.. I teach my students to try and do 1 minute to 10fsw then try to do 2 minutes for the last 10 fsw (but atleast 1 minute)..

dreammermaid:

I've wondered about the chances of getting another hit. I know if you get one the chances of recovery are decreased. I love diving and want to continue but trying to figure out the safest way to return has been conflicting. Some people I heard from just 'got back to diving'. Others did extensive pool dives on high o2 first. A friend of a friend made his first dive 50 feet for 45 minutes and got bent again so I definitely want to be more conservative in the beginning. But then I know everyone is so different you can't generalize. Anyone had experience returning to diving after dcs?

As Dr. DECO has pointed out, there are "Canaries" that have a tendency outside the normal population to get DCS (not common, but they do exist). I have only seen one in my few short years of diving. If you are someone that falls into that category, then not diving is a very good idea.

There are also people that do serious damage, that need to be very, very careful that they are completely as possible healed (this is a very difficult medical decision and and as Made for It has pointed out, should be done with the correct evaluation and advice.

There are also some stupids out there that should be kept away for sharp pointy things and anything that can hurt them, because they will. I have not had to deal with the numbers that Made for it has, but I have seen 3 people that fall into that group.

Made for it pointed out that "only" 3 of the 100 or so cases were repeat, which is much higher than the average population, so, while only a small percentage, it is still larger than normal.

The best advice from an outsider, is that you should get good medical advice, be extra careful and when fit for diving, dive if you want to. The one good thing (if there is any good in this), is that you got DCS for a reason, which means you are most likely not in the canary group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom