Getting Certified and Where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrsDoll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am newly certified as of last year. My certification was completed in Cozumel @ Dive Paradise. My 21 year old Son is also wanting to get certified. Because, we are land locked Texans, I am wandering if we should take a trip to Cozumel for his certification (before October) at Dive Paradise or certify locally before our schedule scuba trip in October that will require his certification. I am wandering what the Experienced Divers recommend. For me this is a hobby, for him it may turn into something more.
Please don't bash the Newbie...

Get certified locally or at least do the bookwork and pool sessions locally. I don’t know what your local diving hole is like. Might be low visibility and cold.

Can't comment on your local area, but you do have a couple of options. You can split his certification into two sections. In other words, he could do the theory and pool work locally, then complete his open water dives in Cozumel. This system is called a referral and is a very common way of getting OW certified.

Alternatively, if he enjoyed the referral section in your local area he could also complete there as well. This is a nice way to build a relationship with a local dive centre especially if he's looking at doing more in the industry. You don't have to commit to the second part at this stage, just see how it goes. Either way it saves two days of his holiday in a classroom and pool.

Just a thought .G

Flatonia is a long way from anywhere, alright. I suspect that most here will recommend that you get your son certified prior to traveling to Cozumel. The closest shop to you is probably Welcome to the Dive Shop in San Marcos, Texas!. In addition, they train in Spring Lake, some of the clearest water in Texas.

Edited to add: Be sure to get your Nitrox certification while getting Scuba Diver Certified.

Also edited to add: For those of you not familiar with Spring Lake, it is aquifer fed, 71° F., and crystal clear - year round. A perfect place for your first scuba experience.

Many people suggest doing your classroom and pool work at home, then doing OW checkout dives in Cozumel. For us, that schedule just never worked out.

So, we did our entire OW in Cozumel (not with Dive Paradise), and it turned out to be great. We didn't get books in advance, but we did use scuba test apps on our phones to learn in our spare time before going down - which actually helped a lot. We ended up doing our "pool sessions" in the shallows of the Caribbean and then having nice shallow dives afterward.

I'm not sure what your experience was like doing your OW with Dive Paradise. As for us, doing the full OW in Cozumel worked out great. However, since our class was a bit less stringent with the book work, I was glad we prepped some before and continued to review our books afterward (before our next dive trip).

Hello, I am newly certified as of last year. My certification was completed in Cozumel @ Dive Paradise. My 21 year old Son is also wanting to get certified. Because, we are land locked Texans, I am wandering if we should take a trip to Cozumel for his certification (before October) at Dive Paradise or certify locally before our schedule scuba trip in October that will require his certification. I am wandering what the Experienced Divers recommend. For me this is a hobby, for him it may turn into something more.
If what you mean by "for him it may turn into something more" perhaps going pro becoming a divemaster or instructor, complete all academics, confined water (pool) and trIning dives locally at a facility that he may want to work at. Purchase all his gear at that facility as well, it will show he may want to become a team member there eventually. A newly minted divemaster/ instructor has a better chance of employment getting work at a facility where they committed themselves for training and gear purchases than a divemaster/ instructor off the street with no history of abilities.

Welcome to Scubaboard MrsDoll.
Do your pool and academics locally then do the OW portion in Mexico. Costs more so call and figure out what they will be.

My girlfriend took her OW course on Cozumel and felt like she was wasting her vacation in the classroom.

Get certified locally or at least do the bookwork and pool sessions locally. I don’t know what your local diving hole is like. Might be low visibility and cold.
I always agree with this, if possible. So the trip South is just diving. You spend most of the 4 OW checkout dives doing skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom