Getting dark backgrounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scubaboard! Any tips on how to get a well lit macro subject framed against a dark / black backdrop?

Thanks.

fastest shutter speed you can sync at, and try to shoot into blank water. A small f stop (high number like f:22) will make any background in the picture in focus and that is not good.
Bill

As Bill said, try to shoot into blank water. The best way to do that is to get your lens below the subject and point upward into the water column. This nudibranch was on a kelp frond. I held the kelp in front of my port and shot it while pointing upward about 45° with my camera set at f22, 1/250.
Venustus_zps9pdeus78.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Max, what kind of lens were you using in that pic?

Max got it right but sometimes it's difficult to have the critter right on top of the hill that will allow you shoot upwards.
There's also a way to ensure the background will not be lit and kept black.
1- make sure you are at smallest aperture f/18 minimum
2- set your speed the faster you can though allowing to sync your strobe light, typically 1/250s
3 - that's where it's interesting : set your strobes close inside (yes almost looking at you) so that only the front (or back, call it as you wish) edge of the light beam lights up your critter but NOT the background. It's also important that the light doesn't come directly into your lens, hence the strobes need to be positioned roughly parallel to the housing, turned down and towards you. You'll know you have the correct strobe position when you are blinded.

Thanks everyone. Max, what kind of lens were you using in that pic?
Nikon 60mm with a 1.4 teleconverter. I've been having some luck recently using a 105mm with a 5T close up lens.

Rather than run a small aperture, I would limit light by running a low ISO setting. A high f stop will result in a loss of resolution because of diffraction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom