Getting disabled divers out of the water with sling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pavao

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be helping out with a group of disabled divers getting them into the water and out of the water into a charter boat, typical dive boat, platform about a foot above water with dive ladder in the center and rails down the platform, meaning we have about 1/3 of useful platform, let’s say 3 feet.
I was told we will have quadriplegics and using the sling below to get them out of the water, without a mechanical lift, all by hand.
There will be trained personnel working with us and I’m sure (really hope) they know what to do and can guide along the way, however, today we did some practice and I felt really uncomfortable that we did not seem to know how to work it, there will definitely be more practice to learn this, and I was hoping someone with experience could chime in and give some pointers on how best to do this.
Any disabled with upper body movement I’m comfortable with working the sling, it’s the ones with no upper or lower body movement I’m looking for guidance
Any videos would be a big plus, TIA!
A6FFF0E3-2456-4DC5-BD06-31AA1C966007.jpeg

Try contacting Divi Flamingo in Bonaire. They might give you some pointers? They used to advertise these types of services by specially trained DMs.

One trip years ago we did day boat dives with an assisted diver. They were last in and first out so I did not witness entry or exit. But I did witness the diver & instructor during a few dives using a harness underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom