Getting From Hurghada to Port Gahlib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
Putting my trip together but most of the boats I am looking at sail out of Port Gahlib.

Is it pretty easy to grab a cab from Hurghada to Port Gahlib. What should I expect to pay?

We had no difficulty arranging ground transportation from our resort in Hurghada to Luxor, which is about an hour longer drive than to Marsa Alam. We hired a private van (needed because of luggage) for two people for $185 USD through the concierge at Fort Arabesque. So I suspect it would cost less to get to Marsa Alam, since the driving time and distance are shorter. It will also be less expensive if your travel group/luggage will allow you to use a hired car instead of a van.

185 is too much even for a van which I don't think Mercedes Benz.
We paid USD 60 for a nice Hyundai Elantra from Abu Dabbab (30km south marsa alam) to Hurghada.
Petrol price is just increased. So you can expect slight increase for the car.

It was a 9 pax Mercedes Benz, which was very comfortable with a great A/C, and did not have others trying to go to Luxor when we wanted to leave mid day. So we splurged for our comfort and convenience. I did not consider the cost outrageous because the driver had to drive 3.5+ hours each way, and the price included gratuities.

you can't just "grab" a cab outside arrivals, the taxi driver would need a special permit for this long distance travel,
Hurghada airport to Port Ghalib is at least a 3 hrs drive and would be through 2 police check points, one when leaving the Hurghada area and the other one before El Quseir, your transport needs to be pre-arranged

my travels to the area are through a tour operator and includes transport to my hotel, the local operator would be Travco, so if all fails go and see the Travco rep on arrival there are dozens of them awaiting their clients and directing them the various buses, just remember 50 $ ( f i f t y ) is a large amount of money for an individual Egyptian.

If you go for a week onboard a safari boat, they will pick you up at Hurghada...

The price is usually all in from and to airport.
If you’re the liveaboard recommend airport is Hurghada, Yes, the liveaboard will arrange transportation. But, if it’s elsewhere ( Marsa Alam, port Ghalib) you would need to get your own transportation and liveaboard may assist with extra fees.

I’m actually doing the Aggressor on June 1-7 out of Marsa Alam. I’m flying into Barcelona than to Marsa Alam(Port Ghalib)
Than on June 8-15 on the Aggressor ll
The Aggressor is charging me $119 for transfer from Marsa Alam to Hurghada.

Putting my trip together but most of the boats I am looking at sail out of Port Gahlib.

Is it pretty easy to grab a cab from Hurghada to Port Gahlib. What should I expect to pay?

When are you going?
I’m scheduled to going back to back on the Aggressor, June 1-8 Marsa Alam and June 8-15 Hurghada.
They quoted $119 from for transportation. They also asked if I want to do a tour in Hurghada since I will arrive too early to board.
On Viator, I saw transportation for $70 but their calendar wasn’t up for the month I’m looking for. Usually, transportation requires 2 and sometimes waits for others.

I did the opposite transfer in October 2018. I flew into Marsa Alam (RMF airport code, 15 mins from Port Ghalib) for my liveaboard out of Port Ghalib, but back out through Hurghada. I was booked with Emporer divers, and they charged me 43 Euro to drive me to Hurghada. In the end, I guess I was the only one going that way (I had extra days local after the liveaboard), they sent me by "limo" aka private taxi. But $185US is ridiculous, no matter how big the car was.
For divers going straight from the liveaboard to the airport, the price was $0, included as an airport transfer.

Wouaaahaha ! much too expensive ! For this amount I call an Egyptsian friend....I'm sure he will propose minimum the transfer + dining at one of the good restaurants in Hurghada....

a_Iamonta is right...

and, by the way, no tour in Hurghada : nothing to see, Hurghada is only a touristic city that grew from a fishermen village to a city of 30 kms along the sea because of tourism, you won't find anything authentic there. Even if they all say they sell authentic papyrus and antiquities.... If you want to see the real Egypt, it's not here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom