Getting info for possible California trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my trip, I rented a tank & weights at the dive shop before starting the trip, and researching California, it seemed like the largest commonly available tank was the 95-cf steel. With all the dry suit diving common there, and the greater exposure protection generally compared to warm water diving, I was surprised not to find 120-cf tanks readily available. Seems like the extra gas would be handy for some.

Richard.

Ok. So this is narrowing down my choices.

@Akimbo. Eric and I have no problem diving independently. In fact that is our preference. Although we are “vacation divers” we are not the typical Caribbean diver.

But in recent years I have become a bit of a Dive Primadona in that I can no longer do the heavy lifting of past years and because of my history I can only dive nitrox unless the dives are very shallow. So I guess that puts me on the day boat options.

Looking at flight options. Looks like there are a lot of choices. Flying into LAX we can do one stop but SB is 2. I have never flown multi city but looks like we could do arrival either LAX or SB or Monterey and departure either SB or Monterey. Since we are planning a road trip I don’t think I would want to return to LAX for the flight out.

So current thoughts...

Buy drysuit, possibly seaskin
Fly into SB and do one or two day boat trips. Slow ride to Monterey where we will dive and explore the countryside. And then return to SB for flight home.

And yes, now I am thinking this fall (if we can get the suits in time) rather than waiting until 2020.

Those were the days !
The present day divers seldom dive Jade Cove do to the hike-- recall how we would make the hike 2 -3 times a day ? Sam III

@Sam Miller III, I definitely recall those days and dives! Always exhausted by the end of the day. I remember one day we were driving home back through San Simeon and saw a huge kelp bed a ways off shore. We pulled over below Hearst Castle and made an exploratory dive right then and there. Great times and memories. Proud to have shared them with you! Mark

I can only dive nitrox unless the dives are very shallow.

Define very shallow. Most of the diving at the northern islands can be above 60'. I suggest contacting the boats directly on the dive profile and Nitrox options (day boats or LOBs). Another possibility is to see if you can get some pure Oxygen. Do an air dive and safety stop as normal and go back in the water on pure O2 for a "prophylactic O2 safety stop"... another discussion perhaps but can substantially increase DCS safety margin.

Another thought is to fly to San Francisco (or Oakland or San Jose) and drive to Monterey (about 2 hours). Then drive to LAX to fly home. It will probably take about the same amount of time by the time you fool around with connecting flights. Just time it to avoid peak traffic times. Google Maps is your friend because you can specify a depart or arrival time.

@Akimbo you are brilliant! :flowers:

I had not considered the O2 option. My Florida dives are fairly aggressive so even on nitrox I do my safety stops on 02. If the boat has it I am very comfortable with it. I would consider 60 and less as shallow. My next day off I will make some calls.

Right now we could fly Delta to SF and return LAX 1 stop each way for 299. Unbelievable. I am so psyched! Even if it just means Monterey dives and topside exploration!

Nitrox requires a card but is not offered on many (any?) LOBs for refills.

The Peace does air or Nitrox last time I was onboard. 32 as I remember.

But in recent years I have become a bit of a Dive Primadona in that I can no longer do the heavy lifting of past years and because of my history I can only dive nitrox unless the dives are very shallow. So I guess that puts me on the day boat operations.

Talk with the dive op's about what kind of assistance you would need. The DMs stay on board, but from what I've seen on my trips, they will do anything within reason to help a diver. Just tip well when you leave. If you need someone in the water they can find you a DM to hire.

Try this link to check out the boats in SoCal.
California Dive Boats : The Official Page

Bob

Thanks Bob. Mostly its just hauling tanks and such and I will have Eric to help but it is reassuring to know the crew is willing to pitch in when needed. And of course a tip is a given. Once in the water I am weightless and in my element!

Appreciate the chart.

Right now we could fly Delta to SF and return LAX 1 stop each way for 299. Unbelievable. I am so psyched! Even if it just means Monterey dives and topside exploration!

I think you would enjoy this route, especially the part between the Santa Cruz Mountains (south of San Jose) and Ventura (North of LA). Here are some additional thoughts:
  • If the SFO to Monterey drive is a bit long by the time your flight arrives at SFO it might be fun to stay in Santa Cruz or Capitola (North end of Monterey Bay and major surfing towns).
  • Dive and sight see the Monterey and Carmel area... stay longer if the diving is good.
  • Stops to consider along Highway 1:
  • Stop in Santa Barbara for diving and tourist duty.
  • Stop in Ventura for diving and possibly your last night before heading for LAX.
The Peace does air or Nitrox last time I was onboard. 32 as I remember.

Good to know, thanks.

I'll add a few more thoughts on Pt Lobos diving, since it's likely you'll be there at least once or twice.
- Consider hiring a guide to dive there. The navigation isn't tricky but if you have a limited number of days/dives there, it'd be really nice to find what you're looking for the first time. Here's a good page on some of the swimmable spots there - even with this information, it took me a few dives to be able to confidently find them.
- Fall 2020 is a long way away but approximate tide information should be available well in advance (maybe even now?). The reason I mention this is that diving Pt Lobos at high tide or the incoming high tide is way nicer just from the perspective of the entry and exit at the boat ramp - it can be pretty slippery at low tides. If you can plan for this, that's ideal.
- You can charter Phil Sammet's boat to dive here. That way, you don't deal with any tide issues with shore entry, tank hauling is minimal, you would be avoiding the non-trivial surface swim to even the closest sites, have an experienced captain drop you right on top of wherever you want to go (avoiding the need for a guide) and also be able to dive some sites that are not deep but would need a DPV to get to from the boat ramp entry.
- Let us know when you're heading here. The chances you'll find one of us to dive with are pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom