Getting into BP/W tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I managed to do it today. Hooked drysuit inflator hose first, then right arm, then found the primary reg which I have clipped to the right chest D-ring. Pull on that which allows me to find the D-ring. Once I have that I can slip my arm through but with the extra large dryglove ring attached to my drysuit wrist it takes a minute.

Now if I can just keep the BP from rotating several degrees by the end of the dive. I'll have to just keep getting the cam bands tighter and tighter. This wasn't an issue with my BC but suddenly with the BP it is.

Hooking and unhooking the SPG is becoming also automatic.

gcbryan:
Now if I can just keep the BP from rotating several degrees by the end of the dive. I'll have to just keep getting the cam bands tighter and tighter. This wasn't an issue with my BC but suddenly with the BP it is.

What is actually rotating, the tank or the BP?

I'm assuming you don't have a STA, and therefore are using the cma straps going through the slots in the BP (please correct me if I'm wrong). How do you attach the wing to the BP? Are there screws going through the holes? Is the tank resting against the screws, which create a 'high point' the tank wants to roll off of?

I guess we need more details.

radinator:
What is actually rotating, the tank or the BP?

I'm assuming you don't have a STA, and therefore are using the cma straps going through the slots in the BP (please correct me if I'm wrong). How do you attach the wing to the BP? Are there screws going through the holes? Is the tank resting against the screws, which create a 'high point' the tank wants to roll off of?

I guess we need more details.

DSS BP/W. No STA. Wing is attached by 2 rubber grommets.
It's the BP that is rotating. The problem seems to be that it is unusually hard to get the cam bands tight. So things loosen up a bit during the dive and the BP can rotate a bit.

When I do manage to get the cam bands particularly tight then sometimes the BP just starts off a little crooked because as I'm tightening the second cam bank that caused the BP to rotate a little as well.

More practice I guess.

radinator:
Also, if you have the upper body strength, you can just flip it over your head to don/doff it. I do this more often with my wetsuit.
Just be careful doing this; I watched guy knock his buddy out doing this on a boat once. (I had stopped him first and warned him he was about to hit his buddy. So, he looked at me, waited 15 seconds and did it anyway. The captain was not amused at the time. He was later. He made both guys sit out that dive.)

I've got the DSS rig and I've never had to work to tighten the cam bands at all. In fact, I use several slightly different sized tanks (steel and aluminum) and never adjust the straps at all, I just slip it on and close the cam buckle.

Tobin's setup has the nice 'wedge blocks' to take up tension on the cam bands to make this possible. Do you have the wedge blocks on the straps (in the BP channel)? What wing? Is it possible that there is a 'high point' of the wing the tank is pivoting on?

I guess I can't think of any other possible causes off the top of my head without seeing the setup. I hope you get it worked out.

radinator:
I've got the DSS rig and I've never had to work to tighten the cam bands at all. In fact, I use several slightly different sized tanks (steel and aluminum) and never adjust the straps at all, I just slip it on and close the cam buckle.

Tobin's setup has the nice 'wedge blocks' to take up tension on the cam bands to make this possible. Do you have the wedge blocks on the straps (in the BP channel)? What wing? Is it possible that there is a 'high point' of the wing the tank is pivoting on?

I guess I can't think of any other possible causes off the top of my head without seeing the setup. I hope you get it worked out.

I think the problem is now identified. I went on a few dives today and finally noticed that the buckle/cam assembly on the lower cam band was broken. There is a vertical load bearing plastic part under the top buckle and it is supposed to be attached at the botton and top. The top appears to be ok until it is under a load and then you can see that it is actually broken and is not attached at all.

I'm sure a new cam band/buckle will fix the problem.

gcbryan:
I think the problem is now identified. I went on a few dives today and finally noticed that the buckle/cam assembly on the lower cam band was broken. There is a vertical load bearing plastic part under the top buckle and it is supposed to be attached at the botton and top. The top appears to be ok until it is under a load and then you can see that it is actually broken and is not attached at all.

I'm sure a new cam band/buckle will fix the problem.

Another good reason to use SS buckles !

jeckyll:
I figure one reason for diving with a buddy is to give me a hand getting into and out of my harness :)

I've tried the 'sit down' technique.

The 'stand up and swing it around' technique.

The 'modified tank lift with one hand behind my back' technique.

And realistically, life is easier when someone is around to ensure you get into your gear easily :)

Just my $0.02

Bjorn

I agree completely. Why try and find a way when the best way is calling your buddy over to help. Not ashamed to admit it.

Inland and shore diving I always geer up on my tailgate or a table. If those are not avaiable I bring along a
11020.jpg
. On a boat. I just stand the ring on the bench, slide both arms in then do the lean and pray the boat doesn't rock and throw me overboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom