Getting LDS and other Sponsors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jldodd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone! I'm new to scubaboard so please give me a little leeway.

What I was wondering if it is common for a LDS to give support to a youth group? I recently started a Venturing Crew that focuses on SCUBA. The kids LOVE it but we can't afford to do it very often as a group.

I'm sure others see Scouts differently than I do, but I see it as a way for kids to get to try new things and do things they couldn't normally do on their own (or with their families). However, the majority of the kids in Scouts in my area come from families having a tough time paying the electric bill. Those are the ones that need to enjoy the adventure of Scouting the most. But unfortunately unlike other aspects of Scouts (Camping, Hiking, Canoeing and etc.) SCUBA has a high price barrier to entry.

We have a good number of fundraisers that allow the newly joined youth to get the money put together to get OW certified but what I'm more concerned with is the actual dive trips themselves.

The single largest cost factor on all of our trips (since we live in Florida) is gear rental. I can get everything else pretty well down to nothing (We can camp in Youth Camping Areas, we get fuel donated by a church to drive them to the location).

A weekend of normal camping with the Scouts (with our group) costs about $10 per youth. Well as we all know that will just get you one tank rental for one day.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the cost down to truly achieve my goal of giving every youth who is interested in SCUBA the opportunity to participate?

are your kids certified??? if not i would approach lds about discover scubas. the lds hubby teaches thru does this because quite often the parent/s want to give it ago themselves and as a result the lds makes money while supporting the kids

goodluck

Hi everyone! I'm new to scubaboard so please give me a little leeway.

What I was wondering if it is common for a LDS to give support to a youth group? I recently started a Venturing Crew that focuses on SCUBA. The kids LOVE it but we can't afford to do it very often as a group.

I'm sure others see Scouts differently than I do, but I see it as a way for kids to get to try new things and do things they couldn't normally do on their own (or with their families). However, the majority of the kids in Scouts in my area come from families having a tough time paying the electric bill. Those are the ones that need to enjoy the adventure of Scouting the most. But unfortunately unlike other aspects of Scouts (Camping, Hiking, Canoeing and etc.) SCUBA has a high price barrier to entry.

We have a good number of fundraisers that allow the newly joined youth to get the money put together to get OW certified but what I'm more concerned with is the actual dive trips themselves.

The single largest cost factor on all of our trips (since we live in Florida) is gear rental. I can get everything else pretty well down to nothing (We can camp in Youth Camping Areas, we get fuel donated by a church to drive them to the location).

A weekend of normal camping with the Scouts (with our group) costs about $10 per youth. Well as we all know that will just get you one tank rental for one day.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the cost down to truly achieve my goal of giving every youth who is interested in SCUBA the opportunity to participate?

Welcome to Scuba board:

I have been a SM for over 11 years and our troop scuba dives on a regular basis. However, the process had taken years to get to where we are now. First off, you or one of the leaders will need to be a DM or higher in order to take the scouts out diving without a "guided tour". By doing this, it saves huge monies. This is the only reason that I took my DM couse 4 years ago. I did this on my dime, which took quite a bit of time and monies. I certify all my scouts through the YMCA agency and the instructor that I use to certify the scouts sells me his older (yet safe) gear. BCD for 50 dollars, regulators at 200 each. He loans us the tanks and wet suits for free.My certified scouts will donate time with cleaning his gear, loading off loading on his larger classes etc in return. I had went to several of my vendors that I deal with here at work (I work in the transportation industry) and was donated ( they bought candy bars at a big price, since we cant just take donations without a product in return) and that is what we started on with the BCD's and regs for the troop. I had another dad do his DM course so we can take up to 6 divers (scouts) on a dive. The kids will buy thier own mask, snorkel, fins with popcorn, candies, recycling projects.

It can be done with some work and motivation. The kids love the sport. I actually have two Eagle scouts that are 19 and 20 and they are now going through their "silver training" and are working towards thier DM so that they can become invovled in helping out the troop. I also have one Eagle scout that is in the USCG and is an AST, and two other scouts that joined the Navy. Both tried out for BUDS. One of them actually made it (SEAL training) and the other moved on as a salvage diver. So there diving experiance actually affects them for life.

Thanks for your responses! All of the kids are currently certified but only get to dive when we dive as a group.

Northern Diver, thanks for the advice! I'm currently working toward divemaster. I'll be taking my AOW next month and Rescue Diver in February. Then it's just a matter of logging some more experience. I intend on entering Divemaster training next summer but until then have to rely on others to help the group.

Currently Paul Cross of the Plantation Inn dive shop (in Crystal River Florida) cuts a good deal to scouts but he's a 4 hour drive from where we are (THANKS PAUL!). So we have to use him sparingly.

I think you are right, we'll need to start building an inventory of our own equipment if we want to really get the price down.

These are great suggestions! Does any have any other ideas they would like to share?

A Scout is thrifty! I'm really looking for ways to save money for the kids!

Another option is SeaBase I don't know the particulars on how it works but it is a Scout Oriented Facility.

Another option is SeaBase I don't know the particulars on how it works but it is a Scout Oriented Facility.

The Seabase program is 755.00 per scout. That does not include transportation to get there...That is a lot of scuba equipment that someone can buy.

Like I said I didn't know the particulars.

Some local and internet shops do sponsor groups. Instead of rentals you may want to look at a few good fundraisers that will allow the kids to buy their gear. When I was a scout we did some heavey fundraisers for about 8 months. That raised the funds we needed to all go to Europe and the Bahammas. How many kids are you working with?

Jldodd.

here's a few suggestions

1.) talk to your LDs about a discount program for certain gear packages or group rentals. chances are they only teach classes 1-2 weekends per month and their rental/teaching gear sits collecting dust the other weekends. See if you can get it for 50% off those other weekends since otherwise they would be making no money at all on them. Also explain to them that this gets the diver into their shop to buy other items, acessories, want to take classes, etc. Sell this is a "deal" that will sell more stuff for them in the long run and they have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

2.) Send a PM to one of the gear manufacturers here to see if you can get a "scout discount" for a large gear purchase. They might have to partner this with a LDS, but they can figure that out. You could easily get a 50% discount on certain select gear packages. Here on this board, you've got XS Scuba, Dive Rite, Oceanic, Zeagle, Sherwood, etc represented, plus more. You can find the contacts for each company posting in their 'gear forum' for manufacturers. Sell this to them by saying that people who buy your brand of gear are more likely to be a loyal _____ brand of gear buyer for the rest of their diving if they start with yours. Companies get tax breaks for helping scout troops, so it works out in their best interest also. Offer to photos of the troop using their gear.

3.) Of course all of this will require fundraisers on your part.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

I currently have 5 boys certified and diving with the crew. I have 2 girls and 3 more boys preparing to join. We just organized the unit in September and I can see a major growth spurt coming. This is of course why I'm trying to get the money aspect figured out. I need to have a standardized fee structure for people to expect when they join the crew.

I think the consensus here is that the crew needs to own it's own gear. In the meantime mike_s' suggestion of working with an LDS to do group rentals may benefit us greatly.

As for fundraisers, the boys have been working hard and have raised $1000 (for the group) to pay for trips that we are already committed to (We are going to Sea Base this summer but it may not have been the best use of our money). Fortunately, Sea Base is a two hour drive from where we live so at least we won't have transportation costs. So it would be feasible in the future that once we get all of our trips that are currently planned (Through July of next year) paid for with fundraising we could work toward the goal of buying equipment.

Does anyone have any unique fundraiser ideas? Perhaps something that would get us in good favor with a Local Dive Shop? So far, we've been doing all of the standard ones: Pancake Breakfast, Car Wash, Little Ceaser's Pizza Kits and etc.

I appreciate everyone's time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom