Getting my feet wet with diving; beginner inquiries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
To be honest, I have never gone scuba diving, nor even have been in a suit. The past few years I have been working for a company that specializes in scuba research and neat little contraptions to make diving a bit easier, which has made my interest grow exponentially in wanting to get out in the water and see some remarkable things and also to use the products we manufacture, in particular I understand I am living around one of the most beautiful places in California to dive: Monterey, California. There are three main reasons why I have not made the effort to go out and learn more about diving and certification: (1) procrastination; (2) not being knowledgeable of what equipment or things I need to dive; (3) skeptical of the (high) cost (being a recent college grad that does not have a big budget to spend on).

Of course, the first reason, procrastination, only I can fix; I was wondering if I could have any recommendations on getting prepared and started for certification and diving, and to address my third concern (the high cost) an affordable way to get started and enjoy the hobby. I understand there are used wet suits and equipment that are less costly, is this a preferred way? or is that really something that I shouldn't look into cause wearing someone else's suit appears unsanitary?

I understand there are more phenomenal places to dive, which I hope to visit sometime during my lifetime, though I do not plan on branching out further than the local Monterey Peninsula, just thought I'd add to consider for recommendations. Oh, also: my boss was bitten by a shark (and survived) which also makes me skeptical going into the big ocean waters, so any suggestions on how to not become a munchie snack would calm my nerves. The image of being bitten into and torn to pieces by about 3000 teeth does not sound all too exciting for me.

Thank you.

Preparation?...how much time do you spend in the water now???---in particular, the ocean.......ie start(if you haven't already taken it up) snorkeling.........Then, put a few hundred down(whatever it costs in your area)& get certified......NO ONE here will be able to tell you how YOU will experience the underwater world.....You may like it----&---you may not.......good luck in your new adventure...

&----don't worry about the shark thingy-----odds are, you never get bit....:)

&----just look for stains around the Johnson area.:)

Procrastination is something you have to fix . . . :)

Preparation doesn't require much. Most dive shops will require you to purchase your own "personal" gear (really, things that simply have to fit). This includes a mask, fins, and booties, and a snorkel (why they include the snorkel, I'm not sure). These can be huge profit items for shops, if they can talk you into buying the latest and greatest, but considerable money can be saved by going for simple. A mask just plain has to fit, and you have to pay what you have to pay to get one that does, but simple paddle fins can be quite inexpensive, and a simple snorkel is cheap.

You need not buy any other equipment until the class is completed, in most cases, and it is somewhat unwise to do so until you have decided that you actually like to dive. Some people complete their classes and never dive again (I'm not sure why; it's a delightful activity). If you finish your class and decide you are hooked, you can do some careful shopping and keep your costs down, including buying used equipment. There are many threads here on ScubaBoard going into how best to do this. If you really end up hooked, you will likely do what most of us have done, and slowly acquire fancier and sometimes more expensive stuff.

You ARE in one of the greatest places to be a diver. The topography and density and diversity of life in the Monterey Dive sites (particularly Lobos, and off the boats) is fantastic. Monterey is one my favorite places in the world to dive.

I think you'll find most members of scubaboard are life long scuba divers. Whether they're on their 1st year of 30th year they have a passion for it. I would also like to speak out and say that the underwater world is wonderful and unique. I have spent a lifetime experiencing what you have seen only through TV or magazines. If you go forward and start snokeling and diving in Monterey you will probably be doing the best things you've ever done.

Listen to your inner self that's calling you to this and GO FOR IT! You will learn all about the deals that are out there that will help save you money. Learn about the gear from fellow divers and purchase the best quality for the budget you have. Once you have your own gear you will not have to keep spending money on it. You can find fun, safe shore dives that only cost the air in your tank or if you have the money you could go on a chartered dive boat. You'll make tons of new friends and create experiences that you'll remember your entire life.

I hope this inspires you to stop waiting and start. Good luck.... Adventure-Ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom