Getting new regs, here's what I went looking for and what I ended up with.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dang there are a lot of regulators out there today!

It's been a while since I got new regulators, and it's time to build myself a new set of dive kit.

As I started to work through the options, I evolved a set of criteria. Here's what I came up with:
  • Self service. I want to be able to buy parts. I want to be able to service the reg on trips. I don't want to argue with a LDS tech to buy them. (ever)
  • Good support for the DIY reg service crowd.
  • Reasonable cost. Not required but I don't really need $2k in regs.
  • Reasonable weight. I will travel with these.
  • Dual, matching regs. A low performing octo is lame. In a pinch I can just pull one reg off the rig.
  • New. Used regs are cool, but I'd rather start with fresh service life.
  • Dual HP ports - I will have a SPG on there but also an AI computer sensor.
  • Flex hoses - definitely going this route. Pretty much everyone has but still on the list.
  • LDS isn't a factor, the closest dive shop is over an hour of driving.
  • Performance - This is one of the most important factors. Thankfully scubalab exists.
  • Manual Venturi
  • Adjustable flow control - gotta have a knob there.
  • Probably buying another set sometime for the permanent dive buddy (wife).

The first couple of options really helped me thin the pack. I previously bought Zeagles and found that I was a fan of the parts availability. It's been a while since then but this put Zeagles on my list immediately. This got me looking at the Zeagle F8. Definitely a nice regulator, but I was surprised at the slighly low flow score in the scubalab tests. Since I was considering Z's. I also took a look at atomic, since Z is now under that company. Great regs, but a few concerns about hose issues have popped up. (Only a few but still a thing.)
Atomics fell out due to the auto venturi system. It's cool but not what I prefer.

After this I started considering Dive Rite and HOG regs - both due to the parts availability. Both brands produce very similar regs. Scubalab flow ratings on these are pretty good. They actually beat the F8 in one test set, which dropped them down a bit in my list.

I'm going to admit that I didn't consider Deep 6 regulators. They just didn't make my radar while I was shopping around. (I only recently learned about Deep 6 while looking at computers that use the same algo as the perdix.)

So I settled in to compare the HOG and Dive Rite regs. These are nearly identical, reliable regs. It turns out that HOG is clearing out the black version and only making one color going forward - which means a price break. Also, I ran across one comment that noted that the Dive Rite has a piece that causes the owner some finger pain when dissasembling.

I finally settled on HOGs. For the cost of just the F8 first/second stage, I built my full regulator set and I really haven't found anything that feels like a compromise here. (Which is awesome)

My rig will be:
Hog D3 First stage: 5lp 2hp ports, sealed, balanced diaphragm reg,
2x Zenith second stages: at $100 each this is a steal. Manual venturi, adjustable flow, easy to service,
2 inch SPG, Went for hog spg to match, saved $20 by grabbing from another vendor. (Most of these are made by the same company in Italy)
all on flex hoses. 40 for primary, 22 secondary, 26 for the SPG.
backup reg goes on a neck bungee.
I may change some lengths here, but I'm going to start with these and see if I need to make any adjustments.

If I was in the market for new regs, I would probably go with Deep6 or Hog.

I find 22" on a single tank a little too short for me when turning my head to the left. 22" works best for most people using doubles.

Your primary hose may need a swivel on the reg if you route it under your arm or just get a longer hose and route it under arm and around back of neck.

Yeah the 22 may be too short with the single, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

My order was delayed while they waited for the reg bag to come in, so I upped the hose to a 26. Should be about right.

If I was in the market for new regs, I would probably go with Deep6 or Hog.

I find 22" on a single tank a little too short for me when turning my head to the left. 22" works best for most people using doubles.

Your primary hose may need a swivel on the reg if you route it under your arm or just get a longer hose and route it under arm and around back of neck.

Why do you recommend Deep6 and Hog?

Atomics fell out due to the auto venturi system. It's cool but not what I prefer.
Out of curiosity, what is it about having a manual venturi system that you prefer?

I have both atomic and deep 6 regs, and I can't say this is a difference that has ever crossed my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom