Getting our young son involved?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunaBuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Our son is 2 now and we've been trying to get him involved in diving (at a very basic level, not actually diving, of course). We look at pictures of reefs and fish and he helps choose potential dive spots. We have also been trying to get him using the Navionics app (in a VERY basic way), showing him how to scroll around on the map and how he can make it "follow us".
What do other families to do get young kids involved in diving and boating?

Have fun in the ocean and pool. Make it fun, cuz kids just want to have fun! :D :D :D

BSA holds off until kids are 14 to do Scuba. I think that's about right.

Don't force it. Enjoy diving, and let him come to it of his own accord, or not. Not as a strategy to reverse-psychology him into liking it, but because he shouldn't do it unless he really wants to. Maybe he'll want to fly instead. Or paint, or play hockey, or overthrow American fascism. Teach him to swim, but then give him space to become his own person.

I know that toddler water play/swim classes are available because they are offered by my park district.

And when he is a little older there are kids snorkel and swim packages available at vacation destinations - like the SASY club offered for children (minimum age 5) by DiveTech on Grand Cayman, see link below:

https://www.divetech.com/kids

The most important thing is to get him to love being in the water.

Seeing my folks were not "in the water" people at all, I'm not sure really what one can do. They did have me in swim lessons and I was using snorkeling gear from about 4 or 5. For us, the daughter was in the water before 6 months of age, and a competitive swimmer from about 2. She was around us seeing what diving was, and progressed to formal classes in scuba once we thought she was ready (14)... She would snorkel around us when I was diving with my wife or buddy.

YMMV

My parents didn't like us to ever be in the water and as such I didn't learn to swim until I was 19 (beyond a doggy paddle, that is). Take classes and get him in the water and swimming, and if it's possible where you live, just let him swim and progress as much as he wants as he grows up. Just letting him know that you support him and won't actively prevent him being in the water (if that's what he wants) is big

The best thing is simply to ensure that they are comfortable in the water, are able to swim well and most of all have fun in the water. I know I was swimming from a fairly young age (my mum & her father were really keen swimmers, my dad not so much) so progressing to diving seemed natural. Don't be pushy though - it can be self defeating.

If they choose, they can start to participate in some diving related activities such as the PADI seal team from about 8 years old.

Our youngest of 5 turned 10 in January. This summer was her first diving. The shop is on the beach with a walk-in to 8' deep being a gentle grade. She could swim almost before she could walk! But that was always underwater, with her eyes open. We have a small neighbourhood pool that is < 100 yards from our house. The kids practically live there in the summer, and it's mostly less than 10 families there at any one time. She loved to be in the water, had no issues as a baby with getting her face wet or holding her breath. By 18 mo old she was swimming underwater, coming up for breath, and then continuing to swim underwater. We did nothing other than being at the pool most days and having her in the water with us. We see other parents trying to coerce their kids and almost force them in to the water when they don't want to be. It rarely works and usually ends up with a child that doesn't want to even be at the pool because of the negative emotions they associate with it.

We eventually got her snorkeling gear, and I made a similar mistake and "over encouraged" her. She kept swimming but wanted nothing to do with snorkeling for a couple of years. This year she snorkeled because she wanted to, and then started diving, because she wanted to. We had a fabulous instructor that made every aspect of the learning process a kind of game. She took to it so easily. Her first dive has video of her doing somersaults!! The instructor played games with swapping regulators etc.

Some kids take to it sooner than other. Just the way it is. A way to almost guarantee failure though is to try and force the pace or over encourage. Make all aspects of learning to be safe in and around water fun and let them go at their own pace. When they want to do something, then teaching them to do it properly and safely is so much easier!!

My kids just always loved to be in the water. They started with masks, fins and snorkels because they wanted them. Same happened with diving. Letting it come naturally worked for our family. We have many happy memories of playing games in the pool or at the beach. Didn’t really encourage them but rather watched. They had to take swimming lessons and participate in swims at the local pool at the beginning of every summer if they wanted to have friends come around to our pool. But we didn’t try to steer them to anything specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom