Getting permission to dive private quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Kahler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in landlocked North Alabama. The closest place to dive is a most two hours away, but there are several local inactive quarries that would make a great dive spot. I have associates that know the owners of a couple of the quarries and am thinking about approaching them for permission to dive their quarries. Anyone out there have experience or advice on how to approach them, especially as it applies to addressing any liability concerns they may have?

I cant help on the liability front, but you might want to think about whats in it for the owner.

It is not a very attractive proposition for the owner, that you want to dive there so you can have fun, and they have the risk of liability issues, worries about litter, vehicles, etc.

It is a very different proposition if the owner will receive a map, or the results of a little water quality science project, or photos from down under, or retrieval of an item etc.

If you manage to get permission from the owners to dive the quarry, you might want to get the water tested and analyzed before you dive. There can be a lot of toxic materials and bacteria in quarries.

Reactions: Zef
If you manage to get permission from the owners to dive the quarry, you might want to get the water tested and analyzed before you dive. There can be a lot of toxic materials and bacteria in quarries.
Agreed - a lot of industrial processes from even a few years ago were not as environmentally friendly as now (quite a few current processes would result in water quality issues I would bet).

Great point. Thanks.

That is one way to ensure that neither yourself nor any diver gets to use the quarry in the future. Very short sighted attitude if you ask me.
Agreed - i think that would be a very good way to gaurantee that it was only ever dived once. If the owner hears about it they will likely lock it up tight.

All 50 states limit landowner liability for recreation. But honestly, approaching them with the liability angle in mind never works. Here is AL's version but if it gets to discussing this you're efforts are doomed.
» Alabama Code > Title 35 > Chapter 15 > Article 2 – Limitation of Liability for Non-commercial Public Recreational Use of LandLawServer

You need to put yourself in their shoes at offer something like "ever wonder what's down there? we can take video for you and share" You need to be 1) trusted 2) offer them something

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom