Getting rich teaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertarak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Last weekend I had an Open Water class at Catalina Island. 4 brand new divers and 1 refresher. Saturday went well, but Sunday, which was to be their final certification dives, turned to sea conditions that were not diveable for OW students. I had to tell them they would not get certified this trip. I felt so bad for them. It turns out not only were the sea conditions not diveable but all the boats to and from the island were all cancelled. Not only could they not dive, but they were stuck on the island.

The head instructor for the shop I work with was also on the island with an AOW student. We decided to make the best of it and all go out to lunch together. We shared some margaritas, some food and a great time. We made plans to all have dinner together, see a movie on the island and hang out. We had a great time and I am happy to call each one a new friend.

We ended up being stuck on Catalina until the next morning when weather permitted the boats to run. It also allowed us to dive! These new friends become certified OW divers!

Once back on the mainland, the lead instructor and I were invited out to lunch with 2 of the divers…our new friends.

I was thinking about the above as was packing for a trip to Cozumel with a family I met while the son was in a AOW class I was teaching. This will be the third MX trip they have invited me to join them on. They have become more then dive buddies, they are great friends who I enjoy spending time with.

The lead instructor who I was on Catalina with is coming to my home tonight with her husband to rock out a little with Rock Band tonight. I have been to their home many times and am even on their Christmas Card List! Again, more great friends.

I have met so many great people diving and especially teaching diving. I have also made some very good friends. Students, other instructors, beach diving scooter freaks, bug hunters, techies and rec-ies. I am truly richer for the friends I would have never met if not for diving and teaching.

I still don’t make enough teaching to quit my day job, but some riches are better then money.

Robert, just found this post. Diving has become an excuse to spend time together....u know one on my favoritevsayins is that time being wet is almost the least favorite part of my diving life. It allows me to spend quality time with a teenage son(soooo not an easy task) time with my ever patient hubby who hAs learned to put up with my crazy adventures and time to hang out with new friends (you) who Have become like family.
If u ever have questions on why we dive, look at the collage I made u. Life is made up of small moments. Are they moments worth remembering? Oh ya.
T

Beautiful post, Robert! I just wish I could get some of the students I've helped certify to go diving with me -- some were really tremendous fun to work with.

I couldn't agree more! This year, I am seeing many of my recent students are becoming active, avid divers. I love it!:D In fact I'm diving with several of them this weekend at the local quarry. I can't wait. I have found that if I am excited about diving to my students, that excitement is catchy & they become excited about it as well. This is how the sport will be kept alive!

I agree entirely, Robert! It's great to become dive buddies with your former students. I'd planned to dive with one (OW + AOW) when I was in Hawaii last month, but he got bronchitis and canceled. Next week I'm on my way to Bali, and for the last three days of the trip (out of 10) one of my former students (OW AOW Rescue) will join me. And next month another former student (AOW Rescue) has invited me to be his dive buddy on a Komodo LOB. I'm so "spoiled"!

That's a great perspective, Robert ... I like to tell my students that I'm not just training scuba divers, I'm grooming future dive buddies. Come to think of it, a significant part of my social life involves people who were my students at one point in time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't golf pros make friends AND make a living? Just sayin' ... :D

Whew... I thought you were referring to last weekend until I looked at the date on your initial post, Robert! And the subject had me shaking my head before I read it.

I've found only one way better than teaching SCUBA to make great friends... be a certified dive bum, but know enough about marine life (or at least make up a good story) to "dazzle" them! I've found that works well... it even made us friends! And it doesn't involve any potential liability!

I'd happily dive with any of our instructors, given a chance. That's one nice thing about learning through a local dive shop near home - there's always a chance one of them will be on a trip we take with the shop, so even if we don't get to dive together on the trip, we get to hang out and socialize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom