• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Getting started: drysuit or camera first?

Discussion in 'Tips and Techniques' started by wnissen, Oct 13, 2020.

1. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    12C sounds mighty cold, I don't think I could do a 60 minute dive wet in 12C, but cold tolerance is a very personal thing. You may be part polar bear.

I say camera first, you miss %100 of the shots you don't take. :wink: but caveat I enjoy photography
    I did around 500 dives before buying a drysuit and the course was an absolute waste of money/time to me. Bought a camera after 50 dives. When you dial it in a drysuit is a very stable platform for photography.
    If you already say you feel you are comfortable on %95 of your dives, that translates to me that you would enjoy taking photos on %95 of your dives.
    12 C is absolutely drysuit territory for me but also if I didn't take a camera I probably would not dive. Monterey appears to have some WA opportunities so that may work in your favour.
    Head on over to Wetpixel for camera related info, there is some excellent knowledge there regarding all things underwater photography related.

A few shots below from Qld Australia

b6951d56f8a541e9b8cc616fe69e4d6a.jpg TS560x560~4087169.jpg TS560x560~4087403.jpg
    TS560x560~4087184.jpg

bvanant, laikabear and rob.mwpropane like this.
  2. Rose Robinson

Rose Robinson Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Contact DUI, I'm sure they can fit you perfectly, the T-Rex tail option may be a slight additional cost.

Rose.

3. Landau

Landau Divemaster

Which one will make you more enthusiastic and want to dive more? Do that one first!

Zef likes this.
  4. wnissen

wnissen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Yes, good point, you should see the hole they had to cut my backplate!

In all seriousness, I do feel a bit bad that one of the premier drysuit manufacturers in the world is located in my state, and yet I'm probably going with Seaskin. It's hard to see what the value is, though, when it's apparently twice the price.

laikabear and Rose Robinson like this.
  5. TravisD

TravisD Assistant Instructor

Drysuit - it will get you in the water, while a camera won't.
    You can always pick up a $50 go-pro knockoff too at some point to get a taste of underwater photo/video.

Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  6. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    </thread>

7. davehicks

davehicks ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Get both! I'd give the dry suit a good ten dives where you focus on skills and bouyancy with out a camera. In the mean time start research on your camera / housing / strobe setup and learn some skills. There is a good set of Wetpixel Youtube education vids I recommend.