Getting started with Urchins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, the prices of that uni is quite high, higher than I expected. I can get one of those trays at a local Korean market for CAD$20. While it tastes really nice to me, I'm not sure if it's "premium" grade or something less. But for an out-of-the-blue uni craving, I think it's a really good deal. The local sashimi places sell the same thing for CAD$40. But we have a very large Asian population here so maybe that's why we have some pretty good prices.

Wow, the prices of that uni is quite high, higher than I expected. I can get one of those trays at a local Korean market for CAD$20. While it tastes really nice to me, I'm not sure if it's "premium" grade or something less. But for an out-of-the-blue uni craving, I think it's a really good deal. The local sashimi places sell the same thing for CAD$40. But we have a very large Asian population here so maybe that's why we have some pretty good prices.

Oh, I can get trays of Uni at the H-Mart Korean market here in Atlanta, too, but it's never anywhere near the quality that I am accustomed to. It's good enough for me to use in pasta and cooked dishes.

Oh, ok, maybe I need to "up" my expectations LOL! So do you think the H-Mart uni is "premium" grade or something less? Just so I know, that's all. I don't think I've ever tried "gold" uni, except once when I had something "wonderful" at a local restaurant.

Oh, ok, maybe I need to "up" my expectations LOL! So do you think the H-Mart uni is "premium" grade or something less? Just so I know, that's all. I don't think I've ever tried "gold" uni, except once when I had something "wonderful" at a local restaurant.

I have never looked into it, but I have come to believe the grading is more about the texture and appearance than the flavor. The priciest uni looks firm, bright yellow-gold, and can be picked up intact or in one piece with, say, chopsticks. If presentation is important--say, for sushi--that's the grade to seek out. Then as you go down in grades, it looks progressively duller yellow, mushier, etc. The uni I have seen at our local H-Mart usually looks mid-grade--good enough for homemade sushi. The cheapest uni is sold in bags--just plain mush--but it tastes fine blended into sauces.

Back
Top Bottom