getting tg-6 housing ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
just got the PT-059 Olympus housing and had a couple of questions;

1) the instructions tell me to put the adapter on my tg-6 before putting it in the housing, but seem to indicate that it may cause some vignetting. do i need to install this adapter? what are others doing?

2) greasing the o-ring. I seem to remember seeing threads way back where many people felt greasing an o-ring that is not for a moving part was not a good idea (camera housings etc, as opposed to twist-on lights). Any wisdom here if i should be greasing the housing o-ring?

I installed the lens adapter that came with the housing. I don’t remember why it said I had to do it . I do remember that I had to go into settings to indicate that the adapter was installed. I followed instructions verbatim. It worked great for me until corona hit. I used it for about 20-25 dives. I will grease an o-ring next time I use it.

I use the adapter ring as it apparently creates a hood like connection between the housing interior and the camera. Never used it without so not sure what the impact would be. As for greasing the o-ring, I have not done it yet with a few dozen dives on the camera - too much grease is not good. I leave the o-rings in a baggy and when I get to my hotel, I usually ensure that they are still slick enough and put them on the camera and go. Every evening I rinse everything and let it dry, charge all batteries and make sure the o-ring is clean with no sand, or anything. Usually I use a lens swab which works great. First thing in the am I install batteries seal up and go. Arms, clamps and base all stay as they will be used and housing remains on the tray throughout the whole trip.

The "adapter" helps prevent internal reflections. Without it, the white writing on the the front of the lens can reflect off the housing in front of it and be part of your photo. Use it.

The adapter is black and eliminates the reflection you can get with the factory installed red ring.

Compression gaskets (o-rings) do not require any lubrication or grease. A very small amount won't hurt but will attract sand/debris. You should remove and clean both gasket and channels each time you open the housing. Don't use cotton swabs as they may shed cotton fibers. Instead get some lint free swabs to use when cleaning the channels in the housing. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Foam-Swab-50-Pack-Lint-Free-Gun-Cleaning-Detailing-Stick/976853462

Always carefully examine the o-ring and gaskets with a bright light (focus light?) before you close the housing.

Good news, the camera is water resistant and can survive a housing leak. If the camera does get wet with salt water, remove the adapter, rinse and dry as salt water can hide there.

great! thanks everyone for the input. i'll look in to some kind of swabs and get that adapter fitted to the camera!

great! thanks everyone for the input. i'll look in to some kind of swabs and get that adapter fitted to the camera!
The adapter came with the housing. There were also directions on what settings needed to be changed.

I only take the camera out to recharge the battery and had forgotten I’d attached the spacer when I first got the unit. I’m currently getting six 45 minute dives from a single charge.

I download pictures to an iPad vie wifi after every day’s diving, I find It really useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom