Getting to Bonaire from FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been reading a bit about Air Travel for Bonaireians perspectives just now. They seem to be somewhat frustrated with Insel air and routes that are not being adequality fulfield, essentially from grounded planes, financial troubles and an imminent takeover from a potential buyer as mentioned by Oldschoolto.

Hopefully things will stabilize soon, and we can have dependable flights restored. For now, the cost and time to get there needs to include Houston and Atlanta as gateways to and from Bonaire.

Meanwhile, we are considering accepting the increased time and cost, or other destinations. Good thing there are options and places to go and enjoy this wonderful sport.

I want to thank you all for chiming in with excellent suggestions and ideas.

Cheers,
Ricardo

RicardoV, If you have not done so, please contact Jet Blue on their site and request a new route to Bonaire or at least Curacao from Florida or Ft Lauderdale. I and a few others have done so. JB, I am thinkin', is our best bet; but Southwest could jump in there and earn my business!

Been reading a bit about Air Travel for Bonaireians perspectives just now. They seem to be somewhat frustrated with Insel air and routes that are not being adequality fulfield, essentially from grounded planes, financial troubles and an imminent takeover from a potential buyer as mentioned by Oldschoolto.

Hopefully things will stabilize soon, and we can have dependable flights restored. For now, the cost and time to get there needs to include Houston and Atlanta as gateways to and from Bonaire.

Meanwhile, we are considering accepting the increased time and cost, or other destinations. Good thing there are options and places to go and enjoy this wonderful sport.

I want to thank you all for chiming in with excellent suggestions and ideas.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Jimw,
Thank you for the suggestion. I went online and made a request for them to fly to Bonaire.
Hopefully they are well plugged in to happening in the industry and will agree that there is potential to picking up that route.
Ricardo

The problem is always getting the landing rights... The airlines kick back to the government ( By way of high landing fee's ) to keep other airlines out so they (airlines) can keep fares high.. They do the same thing here in the states but they play the GATE game...

Jim...

The problem is always getting the landing rights... The airlines kick back to the government ( By way of high landing fee's ) to keep other airlines out so they (airlines) can keep fares high.. They do the same thing here in the states but they play the GATE game...

Jim...

Jet Blue already has an established route from JFK to Curacao--it is my hope that if they choose to not go from Florida to Bonaire that they will consider Florida to Curacao. Ft Lauderdale is a hub for JB. That combined with an expanded DiviDivi Air service to Bonaire from Curacao. (They have announced that they will soon be operating 2 additional aircraft with 19 passenger capacity by the 4th quarter of 2017.) Southwest currently does Ft Lauderdale to Aruba. DiviDivi has announced that they intend to provide regular service between Aruba and Curacao and Bonaire. So, that combination may prove to be useful for those of us going to Bonaire from Florida.......

I have had nothing but bad luck with Curacao.... Making you clear customs and get your bags and then leave the airport and go back inside after paying the airport tax and going back through customs and security... All to get back on a airplane for a 15 minute flight over to Bonaire... It should be a simple transfer without ever doing all that bull $hit.. Twice we missed the Insult air flight and need to spend the night... I'd pay $200 a ticket more then ever go through Curacao again..

Jim...

I think the point is hoping JB starts flying into Bon. It has been great for the consumer that JB flies to CUR. At under $350 JB to CUR vs. $600-$1000 United for Bon makes it a no brainer for us. With a family of four divers we are now taking dive trips to CUR that we used to take to Bon and airfare is the primary reason.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Curacao.... Making you clear customs and get your bags and then leave the airport and go back inside after paying the airport tax and going back through customs and security... All to get back on a airplane for a 15 minute flight over to Bonaire... It should be a simple transfer without ever doing all that bull $hit.. Twice we missed the Insult air flight and need to spend the night... I'd pay $200 a ticket more then ever go through Curacao again..

Jim...
Yep, that IS a pain! And we prefer Delta via Atlanta to Bonaire at present. Last year we got a decent price flying out of Melbourne, FL and going a day early so as not to miss the flight to BON. More money--more time, but the fare was ok. Not this year though--much higher price on Delta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom