Getting to Coba Mayan Ruins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even cheaper than ADO is the colectivos.
Yep, that is another option. One final option, you can hire a car for the day. We found an Uber driver we liked and negotiated a rate that was pretty reasonable. US$200 covered everything, I think, and it is very convenient. I hope you do make it to Coba, just be aware that getting around by bike is the best way to see that site, and the paths are gravel. Tulum is a better choice if anyone feels uncomfortable on a bicycle.

I hope you do make it to Coba, just be aware that getting around by bike is the best way to see that site, and the paths are gravel. Tulum is a better choice if anyone feels uncomfortable on a bicycle.
We took the bikes at Coba, after not having been on one in 50 years, and it was a little scary at times, but I never hit a tree. There were several busloads of tourists there, and it seemed that most walked, but biking was best. I should have taken a name tag for mine. We'd park our bikes at times to walk around a ruin, then go back to the group and take one that looked familiar.

Tulum is an interesting & lovely small ruin on the coast. I just got the feeling that is was overly manicured. Some of the bikinis going down the steps to the beach were hot.

Chichen Itza is great if you spend the night nearby and go in early, then leave before the hordes arrive by bus. Nearby Ek Balam should be included if in the area, going there after Chichen Itza.

Reactions: FT
We took the bikes at Coba, after not having been on one in 50 years, and it was a little scary at times, but I never hit a tree. There were several busloads of tourists there, and it seemed that most walked, but biking was best. I should have taken a name tag for mine. We'd park our bikes at times to walk around a ruin, then go back to the group and take one that looked familiar.

Tulum is an interesting & lovely small ruin on the coast. I just got the feeling that is was overly manicured. Some of the bikinis going down the steps to the beach were hot.

Chichen Itza is great if you spend the night nearby and go in early, then leave before the hordes arrive by bus. Nearby Ek Balam should be included if in the area, going there after Chichen Itza.
Your post reminded me that there are pedi-cabs at Coba, I guess I would choose them over Tulum, which is as you point out quite small.
There are lots of other sites, but I wouldn't go much further than Coba if I were day tripping from Cozumel.

My first trip to Coba was with Alltournative. Spent too much time at their base. Then we did not reach the top of the main structure until the time we were supposed to be back at the van. Do it on your own.

Rent a car or take the ADO bus there. Then ADO bus or taxi back to Tulum then bus or colectivo back to Playa del Carmen.

Here is my trip from 2010. The bus may actually stop at the ruins entrance. There are some cenotes in the area that may be worth visiting. I have not seen them.

Coba ruins via ADO bus, walking, taxi and colectivo - Playa del Carmen Forum - TripAdvisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom