Getting ugly! Playa shooting!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That could happen anywhere. What will be important is the Mexican government's response. I'd expect nothing less than locking down the city or a few cities and a massive manhunt. Maybe bringing in the army if the local PD can't do it. According to that article, it was about 2 hours ago that it happened. I'd hope they have the two guys on the motorcycle captured or killed at this point.

If they don't do something significant like that then the area deserves any negative impact to tourism that they get. If they can't even protect the police captain, how could they possibly protect tourists?

I'm hoping they'll handle the situation quickly.

I was just in Playa a few weeks ago, and never felt un-safe at any at any point in time. I had a very lovely vacation.

Could happen anywhere? Does that make it acceptable? Lol...

Yeah because police commanders are dropping like flies all over the world.
Well, if someone can get shot outside their home anyone can. Maybe not a president but I don't think police commanders usually have security details outside their residence. It's no harder for an unprotected cop to get shot than it is for an unprotected civilian.

Why doesn't it happen in the US very often? Probably because criminals know that our law enforcement goes ape-**** when one of their own gets taken out like that. Rightfully so, I might add. These guys probably believe they will get away with it. At least, they're more afraid of the cartel that likely ordered it than they are of the authorities...

Overwhelming response is required in this situation IMO.

That's all I meant by that comment.

Acapulco was once a huge tourist destination. Not anymore. It doesn't matter if it can happen anywhere if it happens where you're planning to vacation. The perception of danger is all it takes to dry up those tourist dollars.

Several years ago we went to Holbox from Coz for whale sharks. Travelling through Cancun I was surprised by all of the soldiers with heavy armor. I didn't think "Wow. I feel safe" I thought, "Holy crap! I'm never going to Cancun!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom