getting water out of ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
An easy way to drop the percentage of alcohol a bit without having to use distilled water is to simply use "rubbing alcohol". Isopropyl alcohol at drug store comes in two varieties, 70% and 90+%. Just use the 70% variety, aka rubbing alcohol, in a 50/50 mixture with vinegar if you want to reduce the alcohol percentage.
Ah ha! I had not noticed but I have been using the cheaper 70% bottle, so I am there.

33% of 90% = 30% vs 50% of 70% = 35%: about the same effect...!

The venigar is already reduced to 5% acidity, so 33% of 5% = 1.65% vs 50% of 5% = 2.5%: not much difference.

Thanks!

DandyDon:
DocVikingo had a new article published in the DAN magazine - nice, expanded discussion - including why high alcohol or hydrogen peroxide can be bad. I use 50-50 alcohol-vinegar, but it was interesting to see him recommend 33-33-33 mix including distilled water. The most recent issue, I think - not yet on their web site.

Once again thanks for all the help . I would love to read DocVikingo's article once it's published. You have to trust the good Doctor>

Joe B

When I have a problem with water in the ears it is generally due to wax buildup. A doctor told me q-tips are bad because everytime you use one a bit of wax gets compressed in the ear. Overtime you get a build up. You may want to use hydrogen peroxide to clean the ears before diving and then use one of the other rememdies while you are diving to prevent infection.

jbilicska:
Once again thanks for all the help . I would love to read DocVikingo's article once it's published. You have to trust the good Doctor>

Joe B
It's published - in the latest DAN Alert magazine. You don't get it?

Back
Top Bottom