Gf has bad back and 100 cf steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unbent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
we have been diving upstate ny dry suit she has double 100's and 80's that her back isn't enjoying anymore (not diving). I don't want to give up a great brail dive buddy so I'm investigating this new voodo side mount for her, any recommendations suggestions will be appreciated, she is diving a 6lbs ss plate w/wing, and wants the rig to be able to adapt to single al80 rec on vacation dives as her plate is now. We have a few shops in the area and none of them have sm systems or instructors, so internet here I am....also to travel what rigging would be required to bring to sling tanks..
Thanks
Ben

SMS75 would do that, but I would not. Get a dedicated side mount rig and a dedicated single tank recreational rig.

Well...

I'd say a Stealth can handle it and is "taught" online by Steve Martin (ie you can get a few hours of videos explaining how to setup the tanks, regs, harness, and everything else, basically). The tec wing might be large on some women, so maybe the classic or a rec works best there, just gotta look out for the lift.
Else maybe the Katana can handle that as well?

Travel rigging depends how you dive. The usuals seem to be:
- a camband + a loop of cord (with a boltsnap and a double ender)
- or a stage rigging
- or a jubilee band + a loop of cord (with a boltsnap and a double ender)

The last one has my preference, it is light and can still easily be swapped between tanks during a surface interval (just need a screwdriver). It's only downside might be that you cant easily move it underwater, but you're not supposed to.

She has a plate and wing with adapter for singles so stick with that for singles and get a dedicated sidemount rig, stealth or razor will work. I'm not long into my sidemount journey but have a razor with 100cuft steels and loving it.

I'd say go with a Stealth and break up the 100s since she's diving dry. I originally had a Razor and didn't like the ballooning wing, although it might have changed since then. Have you spoken to John Ball at Adirondack Scuba? He's a tech instructor and a Hollis dealer, although I don't know how much, if anything, he's done with side mount.

Last edited:
The Hollis Katana is a nicely streamlined until that offers 35 pounds of lift. It's enough for a pair of 100's, LP 85's, LP95s, HP 130s etc, but not too much to make it difficult to travel with.

The Dive Rite Nomad LS has the same 35 pound lift capacity and also travels well, and it trims very well for pretty much anyone. It comes with a standard bungee system but is very easy to convert to a cleaner loop bungee configuration.

The Scubapro side mount system is very comfortable and that might be an added plus with a bad back. It can be obtained with a 25 pound or 45 pound wing. The 25 pound might not be enough for trouble 3442 psi 100s, but it will depend on the person, their exposure suit, etc. However, given that she is diving dry, 25 pounds should be plenty, and would be ideal for AL80s and travel purposes. The 45 pound wing will be more than adequate, but the wing will "turtle shell" a bit more than a smaller wing, however that's really an over stated concern as the turtling I've observed with it has been very streamlined and it dives very clean in the water with very low drag. And if you're in serious sidemount passage anyway you end up dumping the wong to reduce volume anyway. The Scuba pro system trims out extremely well and is very tolerant of lateral weight differences. The downside with the Scubapro wing is that it won't pack as small. The included bungee can be re-rigged as a loop bungee.

As noted above the X-Deep Stealth is an option, but some filks find the shoulder harness to be a little restrictive. The bottom of the shoulder straps attach to a fabric plate in the small of the back and they connect above the waist belt, so there's a bit less room than with a H harness or with a v style harness that has the shoulder straps attaching at the waist.

----

AL 80s are your best bet for single tank monkey diving, but be aware you'll need to adjust the hose routing to ensure you have an alternate air source for the single tank dives. An Air 2, Tusa Duo Air, etc, works fine is you are not doing serious sidemount dives, and it makes the hose routing very clean with no need to change the hoses on one of your regs every time you switch from a single to dual tank configuration.

In some rigs you may find the lateral trim is an issue given the asymmetric weighting caused by a single tank. AL 80s start out a couple pounds negative when full with a reg attached and then get a couple pounds light when near empty. Some folks just add a pound or two of weight to the non tank side of the harness to split the difference, while others use a 2-3 pound weight and shift it from a pocket on the non tank side to a centerline or tank side pocket as the tank gets lighter.

-----

For travel purposes, I suggest getting a pair of compact "1 1/2"" cam bands to secure the lower bolt snaps to the tanks. You can use 550 para cord tied in a loop with an over hand knot and fed under the loop of cam band in a tri-glide to secure it to the cam band. Leave the loop long and you can pull it back and forth to get the proper tail length, then reposition the knot and trim off the excess.

You can also use para cord to create a loop about 6" long tied through the eye of a bold snap and then larks headed around the base of the tank valve to all a "hard" connection between the tank valve and the shoulder D-rings to support the tanks if the loop bungee breaks and to allow the tanks to be supported if you ever carry then out of the water.

I use 1" x 8" or 1 x 8 1/2" 'Dally wrap' to hold the hoses against the tank. Dally wrap is basically high grade rubber inner tube in 1" or 1.5" width that is used by ropers to wrap saddle horns. You can find it on amazon in packages of $10 or 12 for around $14-15 - about 1/4th the cost they sell it for in dive shops.

When traveling I use the tank neck bolt snap and cord looped through the dally wrap and cam band to hold the set together.

Last edited:
You don't mention what kind of diving you are doing that requires twin 80's or 100's. I remember the first time I dove with twin 80's, and I was in good shape at the time. Right, sure, kick like mad and get nowhere with all the weight on my back!

If you compare the total weight of low pressure steel 100's, or aluminum 80's, to the total weight of high pressure steel 100's, you'll find the HP100's are LIGHTER. Tank weight, buoyancy, weight you need to carry, all summed up the HP100's can take off significant weight especially compared to the Alu80's.

The big question is whether perhaps you can modify the dives and just deal with what a HP100, perhaps with nitrox, can do for you. I'm not as strong as I used to be. I may not like that...but it just has to be accommodated.

The other thing she can do is practice doffing and donning in the water. Dry suit or not that's a basic skill rarely practiced. If you don the tank(s) in the water, there's practically no weight to be carried or dealt with. Out of the water? OK, there are dollies for that. I can't lug what I used to, either.(G)

For what its worth, you might want to look into SM50s.

When I initially looked into sidemount and selecting a rig, I interviewed a lot of people, one of whom was a US marine with a spinal injury. He swears by his Hollis rig and 50s specifically because of his condition, saying that he won't ever return to backmount. He stated that the distribution of the weight with the Hollis SMS doesn't aggravate his condition and allows him to dive pain-free.

The SMS 50 trims out nice fro nearly everyone and it's a great rig for a single or twin AL 80s. However, it won't float a pair of 3442 psi 100s for most people in a wet suit and in a dry suit you may end up carrying more gas than you'd like in the suit, unless you're diving in very cold water with heavy undergarments.

But I didn't mention it as Hollis no longer lists it on their site and seems to be hard to find. You might find an SMS 50 Sport version around on clearance.

The SMS 50 trims out nice for nearly everyone and it's a great rig for a single or twin AL 80s. However, it won't float a pair of 3442 psi 100s for most people in a wet suit and in a dry suit you may end up carrying more gas than you'd like in the suit, unless you're diving in very cold water with heavy undergarments.

Diving 100's wet I stayed away from the sms50 for this very reason

Back
Top Bottom