Giant Jellyfish Invasion!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only seen a couple of the invading jellyfish so far. Still waiting to see the giant ones... The ones that I have run across were no bigger than a silver dollar.

They can sometimes be spotted on the Pacific Coast as far up as Tokyo. We spotted one in Osezaki 3 years ago. Huge!

Don't get them in Okinawa, would be cool to dive and photo them!!

I saw another one today in the Keramas. No where near giant. It was about as big as a normal person's hand. Still waiting on the giant...

They seem to be pretty common in the Sea of Japan side, at least around the Shimane-ken area. Saw a couple last weekend diving--water temp was 22, the dive site was about 5 minutes out of the harbor. I don't know how you describe giant, but the bulbous (head?) part was at least 2 feet in diameter. They are apparently safe to touch--I was told by several people that they don't sting you. At least the big red ones--ichizen kurage.

Yikes, we saw one of these on the safety stop at Bitagane, in Atami.

That thing was huge!!!

They are now arriving at Shizuoka prefecture from north to south through Tsugaru channel.

In my earlier post I mentioned that I was told they do not sting. That is a lie. There are ginormous ones now in the Sea of Japan (seriously...3 feet for just the head part). An interesting fact for those of you uninitiated in the ways of jellyfish (as am I), there are certain fish that like to eat jellyfish. In particular, their stingers. Which leaves broken stingers floating around, which can and will sting you. Which then hurts for an hour or so, and leaves a really itchy welt for well over a week. So wear your gloves, or end up with itchy hands like I did :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom