Ginnie Springs for a non-caver from out of state?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'll be in Gainesville Nov. 1-5 for a conference and just realized it's really close to Ginnie Springs. I'm not a cave diver but interested in what the springs have to offer for a "regular" sport diver. Would it be worth for me to spend an extra two days at the springs and maybe try to get a guided cavern dive in? I'm a certified solo diver, but would they allow that there? In that case I'm not talking cavern, of course, just putzing around in the well-lit, open part of the spring. But since I've never been there, I'm not even sure diving the springs is worth it unless you are a cave diver? Logistics issues would include me not having access to a rental car (cost) and accommodation (camping?). Are there buses or shuttles to and from Gainesville? Any opportunities around the area for a day of off-gassing?

Any info greatly appreciated, incl. any yays or nays - perhaps the idea involves too much hassle and logistical issues to be tagged onto a business trip (?).

Ginnie is a neat place, but not for everyone.

there is a cavern area which is accessible to open water divers called the ballroom. this is over head environment that drops to about 70ft and as long as you have a light you can go in. the only reason this is open to open water divers is because the access to the cave system is grated off and the exit is clearly visible during the day from within the ballroom

then there is the eye and the ear. these are entries into the cave system and open water divers are not allowed to be in these area with lights to prevent them from trying to enter the system.

if you are interested in checking it out I would recommend contacting Ginnie or cave country dive shop about getting a DM to show you around and maybe take you into the cavern zones. you will need a car to get there and there are 2 motels in high springs (Cadillac inn and country inn) if you want to stay over night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Couple of comments:

The Scubaboard Fallfest Megadive is that weekend at Ginnie - evening of the 1st thru Sunday the 3rd.

If your weekend is open, you could consider a cavern course which normally lasts two days and includes four+ dives. If you did, you could make cavern dives in the Ballroom, the eye, and the ear. For more information and a list of instructors, go to www.nacdmembers.com or www.nsscds.org. As someone else suggested, also go to www.cavecountrydiving.com. Also, try www.dive-caves.com, Seems like a cavern course is around $400 plus air and entry fees these days and is a fantastice class even if you have no desire to see the caves.

Enjoy.

looks like that weekend is going to be real busy, the dive shop I work with is bring about 30 divers and non-divers for a camp out, OW and cavern training class. the rest of us will be climbing into the devil for some fun....

wonder if anyone is planning a galaxy dive for this weekend?

Sent using Tapatalk HD

looks like that weekend is going to be real busy, the dive shop I work with is bring about 30 divers and non-divers for a camp out, OW and cavern training class. the rest of us will be climbing into the devil for some fun....

wonder if anyone is planning a galaxy dive for this weekend?

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the warning. I will find another hole to crawl into that weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JamesK - not certified - you are pretty funny! The NSSCDS Cow cleanup is November 2 also. See you at REACT.

AbyssalPlains - I mentioned the Megadive form the standpoint of meeting some of the characters on this forum. Also, a few NACD members will be on hand to discuss what we do - conservation, training, exploration, etc.

Not certified just certifiable. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The ballroom is fun for about 20 minutes and that's about it in my opinion. Like others have suggested, you may want to just look into doing a cavern class (+1 for Cave Country Dive Shop).

I don't believe Ginnie Springs allows solo diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom