Ginnie Springs Map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the only reason you hear so many people wanting to get to the heinkle is because instructors make a goal oriented dive out of it by saying "If you haven't swam to the heinkle, you shouldn't scooter".

They do? I have never heard a cave instructor make this statement.

Jeff Hancock has given me several maps to hold, for sale. If you'd like one of Jeff's maps PM me. They are $130 + shipping.

This is just great, a diver planning a dive to the Heinkle, who's never made it to the Keyhole.

For most people, the Heinkle involves stages and deco. I have no clue what kind of diving experience you have, but that bit about only having 200' of penetration seems like a flag to me. I'm not one to tell someone how to dive, but seriously, if I were you, I'd see everything on Berman's map 1 before you move on to map 2. Much better and safer to start at the front and work back.

Also do listen to Tegg-- maps can be an important tool, but it's incredibly valuable to have tons of experience in a cave, much more so than to have memorized the map. Hancock's map used to be great for planning, but some lines have changed and there is plenty that's not on the Hancock map even.

If you want to know you are comfortable in a cave, I think you should move off the mainline.
I dunno
you can get yourself in a lot of trouble in the front of that map just as quick as you can in the back :wink:

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the Devil system online? I guess I'm actually looking for the page 2 of the map.

I have found the detailed map done by Steve Berman, however it only includes page one. I know that its for sale in the Ginnie office but I just want to start getting familiar with the map before i start diving it.

I am planning on doing some dives there over the next 4 months or so. In the past I have done some very limited penetration (max 200'). In the beginning I'm going to stick to short penetrations getting progressively longer. I know there is no substitute for the experience of actually diving it but I would like to get at least a vague idea of what to expect down there.

As other have already mentioned, there is a lot to do to work on your skills in the front portion of the cave. My larger concern is your level of training. Your profile lists you as a NAUI instructor, but I don't see any indication that you are Cave trained. Could you provide some specifics on your cave training (level/instructor). The reason that I ask is that there have been a number of instances where OW instructors think that they are in some way qualified to dive in caves without actually going through the cave training. You post gives me that feeling. I hope I'm totally wrong and that you have completed Full Cave training (if you want to go to the Henkle, that would be what you'd need).

I don't want to pile on here like we are picking on you but it sure seems like you are headed down a path to get yourself in some serious trouble. Being a Divemaster I have some knowledge of the openwater skills you use as an Instructor and I have to tell you that they are nothing like the skills you will need in a cave system. I hope you have the proper training to go into the Ginnie system because no one wants to have to go in there after your dead body and they don't want to have to tell your family what happened to you. Just keep that in mind as you head down this path. I also think you should start at the front of the cave system and work your way back not the other way around. No map will replace the proper training and time spent learning the cave while in the water.

I don't want anyone to think I'm jumping in. I was just looking for a map with this posting. I'm not planning nor would I ever do anything without the proper training and experience. I feel like some people have not read my first posting saying that I am going to be taking a cave class, then I will start doing very limited penetration dives, building up to my goal. It is a goal, which if it was obtainable right now, there would be no point in having it as a goal now would it?

So here is my plan: a) taking a cave class b) diving with a cave instructor on a regular basis for the past 6 months and way into the future c) starting with very limited penetration diving and slowly progressing as he and I feel fit to longer penetration dives.

I have all of the necessary and recommended equipment for taking the class and for doing actual cave dives.

I am a pretty cautious person and I welcome advice from others. If you think that I am jumping into something unprepared please let me know what.

Thank you for the clarification. We are only trying to caution you as well as others. While you have a plan and a goal and sound like you have spent a good deal of time planning this out there are many that do not and end up dead. That being said I believe the cave diving community tries very hard to caution everyone considering making the move. So please don't take it personally.

I know, I am used to the warnings. A good friend of mine is a cave instructor and he takes a lot of that upon himself. I know that it is very dangerous, and that one can never take anything for granted. I have had a small taste of caves and I know that I'm going to enjoy doing it, but I also know that I won't enjoy it at all if not trained properly and thoroughly.

Thank you for the comments. It is important that everyone considering cave diving or other technical diving specialties know the risks and have the training before attempting the dives and you guys are on top of that here on this forum.

My view is that there is nothing wrong with having goals, in diving or anywhere else. Having a goal is a good way to focus attention and effort.

The problem becomes when people can not objectively assess if/when they are exceeding their limits (training, experience, knowledge, comfort etc) and subsequently put themselves in situations they can not get out of.

Having goals for ones cave diving 'career' is a good thing. Doing goal oriented dives and continuing on regardless of anything is moronic. In cave diving this ends up in certain death. (there are many examples of this)

What I am saying is, one should always know where to realistically draw the line. That comes with experience and insight over time.

Hmmm, So I can actually find this heinkle you all speak of on a map, is it worth swimming to? 3100' seems like an eternity away from breathable air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom