Giotto or i300c or Puck Pro+ ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a wrist computer. I'm a fairly new recreational diver and don't need anything too fancy/technical...at least for the next few years. I mostly dive salt water reef type locations.

Here are a few of my general wants:

1. Obviously does all the basics for a recreational diver
2. Very easy to read screen under water. I've used a computer in the past that wasn't easy to see and it was super annoying.
3. Will want to download my log data to PC/Phone. Would be an extra bonus if whatever software it comes with shows depth profile graphs so that I could see how my depth changed over time during the dive.
4. I'm not nitrox certified yet, but plan to. With this in mind, I eliminated a few cheaper computers because they didn't have the ability to switch gas types between back to back dives. I don't see myself changing gas types while under water anytime soon...but could easily see myself doing normal air for first dive, and then switching to nitrox on the follow-up second tank/dive. I THINK all three of these have this capability from what I can tell...

I've read a lot about how different computers are more or less conservative. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between computers and if I should be very concerned about this aspect? And I'm not sure how the three I've listed compare on the conservative scale..??

Let me know which of the three you guys would pick and why?? I'm hoping to buy in the next couple of days for Christmas gift...so any help would be awesome!

Hi @Rob Blaser

First, you have a misconception about changing gases. You do not need a computer that runs multiple gases, that is for gas change during a dive, staged decompression. You would only need to reset the FO2 between dives, any computer would do that.

There have been many threads regarding the choice of a 1st computer, have you perused the computer threads and/or tried search? Most computers main functions are nearly identical and nearly any would meet your needs. The 3 computers you list cost within $50 of one another. The Mares and Cressi would need a cable in order to download to your computer, the Aqua Lung is Bluetooth. The Mares computer has only one button, some find it objectionable to use a single button to navigate the menus and choose settings. The Aqua Lung has 2 buttons, the Cressi 3. Another variable is the decompression algorithm. The Mares and Cressi run versions of RGBM and are considered on the conservative end of the spectrum. The Aqua Lung runs a version of Buhlmann, known as PZ+, and is considered middle of the road/moderate in the liberal to conservative spectrum. See Mass confusion about computers????

Of the 3 computers you listed, I would also choose the i300C, but have given you the reasons why. Best of luck in your computer purchase

Thanks for quick replies so far!!

@scubadada Thanks for clarification on the multiple gases. I was looking at some of the cheaper computers (maybe Cressi Leonardo?) and I might have gotten confused because I swear that I read somewhere (can't remember if it was on here or maybe just one of the reviews on amazon/LP) that someone said they weren't happy because that cheaper computer didn't allow them to dive normal Air on first dive and then switch to Nitrox for second dive. They were saying it wouldn't let you change gas types while during your surface time in between multiple tank dives...

Trying to find where I read that...but maybe I'm confusing things or that particular person was mistaken.

Regardless, it sounds like I should probably lean toward the i300C, even for the moderate PZ+ algorithm vs the conservative one in Cressi/Mares...
Also, thanks for that Mass Confusion link...a lot of helpful info in there...

Still open for any additional comments or suggestions, but it's sounding like the i300C is a great place to start for a fairly well rounded computer for a beginner/intermediate diver that will give me some room to grow in my diving skills!

They were saying it wouldn't let you change gas types while during your surface time in between multiple tank dives...
You are right although I can not tell you which computers do this but there is a simple work around. Instead of setting air always set nitrox and just use 21% nitrox for air.

I would choose the i300C over the SP Aladin Pro. The Aladin Pro deco algorithm is also quite conservative, I have no use for their Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops or their Microbubble levels.

I would choose the i300C over the SP Aladin Pro. The Aladin Pro deco algorithm is also quite conservative, I have no use for their Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops or their Microbubble levels.

It -maybe- "slightly" conservative but not that much more conservative. It is nowhere as conservative or penalizing as Suunto, Cressi, Mares RGBM. As for its intermediate stops, etc. calculations, you can turn them off AFAIK.

2 x i300 for only US$348.00 at Leisurepro.

i300 is NOT an i300C and doesn't have the good upgrade features of the i300C. The i300 is an EoS product and is no longer available from AL. Leisurepro is trying to unload old out of date inventory.

I wouldn't buy the i300 at all to be used as a primary computer. The Bluetooth feature in the new i300C is worth the extra money by itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom