Girlie non diving question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Have you ever cut your long hair?
If so, were you happy or disappointed afterward?

Jesse measured my hiar last night. It is exactly 2 feet long.
I'm thinking about cutting it.
Should I?

How short are you thinking? I got my hair cut right off - above the shirt collar short - and got a number of compliments and one negative comment - I looked older. I kept it short for about year then let it grow long again but it's not 2 ft long!

How about getting it cut off in stages?

Diverlady

Stages might be a good idea.
I don't want to look older..that's for sure. I'm already quite old.

Is that 2 feet from the crown or ears or shoulders?

Always had really long hair, more then midway down my back (or front). 1992 - I sheared it up to having the back of my neck shaved. Looked really cute. Kind of an updated Dorothy Hamell.

(Let's talk about really dumb things women do for men - I cut it because my boyfriend of the time 1:) loved it long & 2:) we had a fight in which he accused me of trying to act like a man. Problem was he loved it short.)

Had grown it back in until Oct when I noticed the ends were really ratty & bleached out from sun & salt water. Had it chopped up to a chin length bob & highlighted (first time ever!) with warm caramel & honey colors. Friends love it. Feel younger & more chic.

I figure it will grow back if I don't like it & it's not as permanent as some other fashion statements. Let us know what you do.

Jersey

I've had short hair mostof my adult life! I first cut it when I was 11, let it grow shhoulder length in college and then whacked it off again. Im letting it grow again now for the first time in 10 years. Short hair is great- really hassle free except that yo have to make sure you have a good cut and you have to have it trimmed more often.

I don't think I have the 'balls' to shave you like you did. ( Might get edited from my fellow Mods for that. :wink: )

It's 2 feet from the crown. So maybe 6 to 8 inches after it covers my bra in the back.
It just feels so out of style. So hippie 70's'ish

Hey were girls we can do whatever we want...

I would suggest cutting it off all the way (style you are thinking about) and then let it grow back if you don't like it.

Women have a tendency to get hung up in a rut and don't change frequently enough.

Go cut your hair, Have a makeover and see what you've been missing

Julie

Here's a thought- and it fits with the "stages" idea as well. Have you thought about cuttng it to about shoulder length? According to my stylist- thats retty universally flattering length, and you could "update" your look without making too drastic a change. Try highlighting (or lowlightin if you ae a cotton top like me)- it makes a world of difference!

Natasha once bubbled...
It just feels so out of style. So hippie 70's'ish

ahh!!! What's that mean!?

*chuckle*

Here's a question. What are you looking for with your question? Just 'love it/hate it'? It'll definately be a personal feeling. But remember one thing... it'll grow back.

Since I'm not sure what you're looking for, I can't tell if I have nothing to add, so I'll answer the question.

Obviously I grew up with short hair. Didn't like it, it grew way too fast to keep looking decent [haircuts every couple weeks if I wanted to keep it looking good... I opted for 'wait until dad starts freaking'].

So it went long. I went about 10 years just lopping off drastic amounts at a time [12-24 inches per haircut]. Always to a shoulder length. The last 3 years I've been trying to keep it relatively shorter... Keeps it from getting stuck under my backplate... or stuck other places :wink:

Natasha,

There is an organization that takes donations of hair to make wigs for children who are undergoing treatment for cancer. I don't know the name of it, but I can find out from my hair salon. They recently conducted a charity hair cut day. It has to be a certain length of hair, I am not sure how many inches. I think it is called "Locks for Love" or something like that.

Anyway, if you are trying to decide how much, you may want to consider this option. By the way, salons that are involved in this program usually cut your hair for free...

sapphire

PS - I think you will like your new look, and you will look younger, not older :D because you will have something new and different!!

Back
Top Bottom