Give me all the options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phislet

Registered
Reaction score
So what are all the options for "cold water regs" out there. I have dive shops in my area recommending the Sherwood Blizzard, Apex TX100 (pricey) and Aqualung Glacia. Any other good options? I am talking about using the regulator in Lake Michigan.

Thanks much.

I've had my Blizzard reg since '91. It's been in water as cold as 34F, with no problems.

The things I like best about the Sherwood: (1) the positive bleed from the 1st stage essentially makes it environmentally sealed... no need for additional enviro kit (2) the 2nd stage of the unit, like it's warm water cousin the Oasis, is designed to return some moisture back to your breath. Actually works! :)

Just my $0.02's worth...

~SubMariner~

Have a hunt round here in the geeral equipment, and regulator boards, but the prefered reg is the Apeks TX50 or possibly the TX40.

Unless you are doing real technical deep decompression dives you will not need the performance of the TX100. The TX50 will be all you ever need. These are really nice regs!

.02, but, I am biased!

Jon T

We all have our favourites, so one word of advice that is probably worth listening to is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

Most places should let you dive with what they sell before you buy one. If necessary get one of their rental ones for a day's diving.

Jon T

Unfortunately equipment recommendations fall into the opinions/assholes category, everyone has one.

I went through this exercise a few months ago and there are a few for the list that you don't have that you may want to consider:

Beuchat VX-10 Iceberg
Mares Abyss
Zeagle Flathead IV and Tech 50D (old style are Apeks with different covers, but the cost may be good since Zeagle dealers will be wanting to get rid of old stock)
Zeagle ZX/Flathead IV and ZX/Tech 50D (their own new design)
Posiedon Odin

I chose mine based on trying them out, cost, availability of maintenance, talking to other divers using them. The untested portion was that the water conditions were not such that I could test the regs in very cold conditions. Since then I have been under the ice with mine, so I am still happy with my decision.

JoelW

Phislet

If you are wondering about whether a certain reg can handle the cold conditions you may put it through, you are at the right time of year to really find out. I'm not sure what Michigan is doing temperature wise right now, but Lake Ontario (at least where I have been), has been hovering around 39 F (~4C)
I'm not sure of your experience/training level, so take this next bit with a grain of salt, but if you can do so safely, and with a buddy you trust, you might want to try out some of the regs you are considering. The key here is safety, since you will using a reg that you are unfamiliar with in cold conditions. Don't put yourself in conditions beyond you capability just to try out a reg.

I did the first part of my OW cert last night and was told by the shop that if we purchased a certain brand of reg (Aqualung i think) and had it serviced by them every year, then we would only pay for labour and all the parts are supplied free of charge ! I dont know if you have a similar offer where you are. :peace:

Mick there are several equipment companies that offer the free parts annually, including ScubaPro, Zeagle, and others.

Warhammer, I have heard alot about Zeagle but nobody here in South Oz seems to stock them. Aqualung is actually the first brand that I have come accross here that does the free parts. I have to admit, the choices here in Adelaide are probably not as good as say Brisbane or further up the Great Barrier Reef. Time to get on the phone and find out if there are any more shops in little old Adelaide ! :D

Thanks for the info

Mick

Back
Top Bottom