Glass lens frameless Mask fogging issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i just started diving a glass lens frameless mask. I have had it on in fresh water at 55* and a 75* pool. In both cases it fogged pretty bad. I have loaded up on the defogger. My plastic lens mask never fogged this bad.

I got the new mask because the frame on my plastic mask broke ( thanks TSA...really my fault because I must not have had the lid for the case snapped down all the way).

Any advice or ideas?

Frameless masks appear to have more release agent residue on the glass than anything else out there.

I just received another one and have thrown the kitchen sink at it:
- flamed the glass on both sides with a jet lighter
- rubbed many rounds of sea buff (can also use generic grainy abrasive toothpaste) in
- washed the entire mask with detergent
- sea buffed some more (as in more than you think, and then some more, and even more)
- let a layer of sea gold dry onto it for good measure whilst storing

I hope this will do it for the first time. The other mask of the same make I have bugged me with fogging for multiple dives until at some point repeated treatment has solved the issue.

Frameless masks appear to have more release agent residue on the glass than anything else out there.

I just received another one and have thrown the kitchen sink at it:
- flamed the glass on both sides with a jet lighter
- rubbed many rounds of sea buff (can also use generic grainy abrasive toothpaste) in
- washed the entire mask with detergent
- sea buffed some more (as in more than you think, and then some more, and even more)
- let a layer of sea gold dry onto it for good measure whilst storing

I hope this will do it for the first time. The other mask of the same make I have bugged me with fogging for multiple dives until at some point repeated treatment has solved the issue.

Good post. If you try rubbing toothpaste into the mask then rub it in like you mean it. Between flaming and toothpaste most masks can be "fixed".

I've always assumed that the issue has to do with a microscopic amount of residual silicone that gets on the glass during fabrication.

R..

I've always assumed that the issue has to do with a microscopic amount of residual silicone that gets on the glass during fabrication.

R..

I think there is also a risk of contaminating the glass with more silicone-rub-off down the track, particularly for frameless masks which are often, or can be, stored folded with the skirt or strap smudging against the inside of the glass. The Atomic mask storage container requires such folding, for example. This seems to bring back some greater fogging potential on a well-cleaned and broken in mask. I find that a layer of dried sea gold provides a bit of a barrier that rinses out flushing the mask before use. I say sea gold because it is in gel form and dries quickly, but I would expect any other viscous defog to work the same. My random fog ups have stopped since taking that extra measure. If it is too involved, folding in a piece of cloth or tissue may do the trick also.

I found that with frameless masks that you really need to flame and scrub two to three times before the fogging minimizes enough that it can be dealt with using defogger. Also when I scrub I like to get the scrub onto the silicone too.

Also your choice to defogger matters, the Reef Safe spray is useless, Sea Gold works well. I have the Reef Safe Gel to try, I'll see how well that works in the future.

My suspicion is that the manufacturers intentionally silylate the glass so that it will bond with the silicone skirt. ( https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/hlca.19820650610 ) Problem is, that would make the glass fog. They won't say.

If anyone knows the manufacturing process (for sure) then please share. It would make a fix so much easier to find.

Right now, I use Mister Clean Magic Eraser, first dry and then with clear ammonia. Defog is diluted J&J baby soap or spit.

Comet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom