Gloom & doom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Ehrlich was right... The Population Bomb. It's exploding.

Oops thought the current line of discussion was regarding global warming....:D

John

Yes, it is John and I apologize for jumping from one subject to another.
I think though that all the big problems we're facing in our natural world right now (including global warming) are man-made and that we're well past the point of no return.

Every single species of plant or animal we loose is not coming back anymore anytime soon. We are no competition for all the other species on this planet. Soon it may be just us and a digital library of all that once lived and roamed on our world.

Population is not the problem. Affluence is....

Wealth is part of the problem but not all of it.

Imagine 25 billion poor people (or more) on this world living from agriculture, hunting and fishing and cooking their meals on wood-fires. What impact would that have on the natural world?

Yes, 25 billion poor people would be quite a strain on the planet.

But now, we have 7 (billion), and 80% of those people live with minimal resources.
The other 20% live using most of the resources in world. Why?

How many things do we consume that we dont need? I look around and I see too many.

I think their would be no problems if the 20% of us werent so fat/lazy/stupid/wasteful.

People who dont believe in global warming, that is no excuse to turn away from the solutions we mkae up for global warming...

Yes, 25 billion poor people would be quite a strain on the planet.

But now, we have 7 (billion), and 80% of those people live with minimal resources.
The other 20% live using most of the resources in world. Why?

How many things do we consume that we dont need? I look around and I see too many.

I think their would be no problems if the 20% of us werent so fat/lazy/stupid/wasteful.

People who dont believe in global warming, that is no excuse to turn away from the solutions we mkae up for global warming...

I agree to some extend.

This world would be such a nicer and better place to live in if people would think twice before they buy, use, kill and destroy things.
But humans in general don't (like to) think too much about what impact they make with their daily actions on their world when it provides them with food, shelter, comfort and luxury. Humans always want more than they need.
Humans in general are not very nice at all to this world, its living beings or even one-another

That counts for both rich and poor people.

If I have to believe the numbers than we're currently adding 78-79 million people a year to this planet.
78-79 million people more who all need shelter, food and water and who all want some comfort and luxury.

Think about it....

I was more thinking about the global scale of pollution, extinction of species and natural habitat loss.

Yes I agree these 3 points are a big concern.
But in my mind and also the minds of numerous professionals, not necesarilly the cause of the variations in climate.
In my native country (the UK) this winter has been particularly cold with heavy snowfalls over most of the country. Such weather has not occured for a number of years, fortunately my knowledge and experience of this cold winter consists only of talking with friends and looking at the TV, but most are saying it is only like every winter used to be before, maybe 20-30 years ago.
I remember consistent heavy snowfalls and long periods of sub zero temperatures every winter when I was small. The UK has not had such weather for so long, a large element of the population have never experienced such things before and of course think it is irregular? The older ones simply think , this year we have had a winter.
Here we are in march and the Uk is still experiencing cold weather, nightly sub zero temperatures and not warming too much in the daytime.
Ask most of the population after over 3 months cold weather and I think most would welcome a rise in temperature.

Ask most of the population after over 3 months cold weather and I think most would welcome a rise in temperature.

And after 3 months of nice and sunny weather they most likely would welcome snow and ice again....

That counts for both rich and poor people.

78-79 million people more who all need shelter, food and water and who all want some comfort and luxury.

Too true. This is beginning to be the big problem with developing nations now who become industrialized. We all see the model of western countires and want to emulate it.

Standard of living is improving in many countries. Great. Now how do we support millions more who want to live like people in California?

Our life is improving but not ou ideas.

Back
Top Bottom