Gloves with wetsuit? Or if cold enough for gloves, it is cold enough for drysuit?

Gloves with wetsuits?

• Yeah I wear gloves with wetsuit if needed.

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • Nah, I just bust my gloves out when diving dry.

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wear gloves. But I am also doing ocean diving so its a matter of protection.

I remember when I went to the Caribbean one of the other divers asked why I was wearing gloves and hood in 83 degree water temp, I said a always do...... on that dive he got strung by a jellyfish he never saw. I said thats why I wear hood and gloves.

I wear 3/4 finger sailing gloves. I tried a pair of thin light neoprene gloves but I just don't do well with gloves covering my fingers. When I dove dry I used 5mm wetsuit gloves.

I was precariously perched doing deco one day, hands full concentrating, when one of them
ran about a metre of tentacle along my upper lip between my reg and my mask. Magnificent!

I always wear gloves [and a hood most dives] no matter the water temp.

Some people are more sensitive than others to thermal conditions, it has nothing to do with touching stuff. If I want to touch something, and have gloves on I take them off because I can't feel what I'm touching with gloves on.

I have a large combination of thermal protection.
The hottest water of the season mid to high 80's (around Aug-Sept-Oct) I start with long lycra pants that I roll up to mid calf with a front zippered top that I also zipper down with nothing else.

As the water cools down I lower down the pants to meet the socks/full foot fins, and also zipper up the top all the way tot he neck.
Then I add a lycra hood, then gloves, then I move on to a lavacore top.
When that gear is not enough I bring out the 3 mm with no hood no gloves, and by the time the water is mid to low 70's I have the 3mm, with hood and gloves.

After that I do it all that in reverse. Until the water is nice and warm again.

Can't remember how I managed to survive dives in the low 50's , it is probably a good thing I have selective memory, don't miss it one bit.

Always wear gloves.
it protects my nails and cuticles, and it's just much more comfortable.

In summer, regular rubber and cloth gloves, or 2mm reef type gloves, and in the winter 4mm neoprene gloves, for either wet or dry.

Also a hood is a must IMHO.
Even a 1mm hood, but my preference for wet is a hooded vest.

I like thin paddling gloves wet and dry. Never liked dry gloves; I want to be able to strip them off and have full dexterity at a moments notice. Having stuff on my hands and wrists makes me feel trapped.
Really?
I dive dry gloves (Showa 720) always, don't have wrist seals on my suit so kinda have to have the glove system hooked up to my suit.
I regularly do 40-50 min dives in 4-8 degrees celsius water with no liner under them and the dexterity is amazing, never felt that a lack of dexterity limited me.
It helps that they are nitrile rather than latex (like most scuba branded drygloves are) because nitrile is a lot warmer, this has been discussed at extreme lengths in the Ultima DGS thread on here.
Drygloves are amazing, once you find the right ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom