Glue choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious_George

Green water guy
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve been replacing dry suit zippers for some time and typically use aquaseal to "paint" over the edge of the zipper and the stitches on the inside of the suit to ensure a waterproof seal. Even though the aquaseal is thinned with acetone so it goes on easily and drys fairly quickly, it takes multiple layers to get a durable seal, and can run before it dries.

DUI uses a seam sealer that appears to go on much thicker and without running. Anyone have ideas on what they use, or perhaps something that would be a good alternative to aquaseal so I can get a thicker build up of sealer?

thanks!

Mind posting a picture of your end result? I'd be interested in reinforcing my current drysuit with aquaseal. Also bump, I'm also interested in what seam sealer they use.

I’ve been replacing dry suit zippers for some time and typically use aquaseal to "paint" over the edge of the zipper and the stitches on the inside of the suit to ensure a waterproof seal. Even though the aquaseal is thinned with acetone so it goes on easily and drys fairly quickly, it takes multiple layers to get a durable seal, and can run before it dries.

DUI uses a seam sealer that appears to go on much thicker and without running. Anyone have ideas on what they use, or perhaps something that would be a good alternative to aquaseal so I can get a thicker build up of sealer?

thanks!

DUI uses liquid urethane on the seams

DUI uses liquid urethane on the seams

Thanks SD. Do you recommend a vendor? I’ll also do some google searching.

Addison,
Here’s one I did - standing up to dry after leak test. I don’t have any good closeups, but can take one after the replacement I’m working on now.
D8A442CD-8E11-4D56-8F8C-748A2215B710.jpeg

Reactions: OTF
How about that black glue that is used to attach the Si-Tech PU rings?

A product made by McNett similar to Aquaseal but may be a bit thicker and not run as much is SeamGrip....check REI for it...it is used to seal the seams of tent floors and rainflys.

-Z

I would avoid using aquaseal for this purpose. Exposure to UV light makes it brittle, and I have removed many zippers installed with aquaseal with a quick snip of the stitching and then peeling it away from the suit. Not exactly reassuring.
109 Glue is great for installation. As for a seam sealant... good luck

Why not use PB-300? Or am I missing something?

I'm not a huge fan of aquaseal unless in a pinch. It's a real pain to undo, doesn't come apart well even with heat (if mistakes are made just heat PB-300 a little to remove). When I use PB-300 just give it a few good layers and roll together. It's easy to clean up, and you can pretty much get it at any hardware store.

DAP Weldwood 32 fl. oz. Original Contact Cement-00272 - The Home Depot

Admittedly I haven't done a zipper yet. but both the P valve and PU rings are holding up great.

Thanks for responding to my post and the well wishes. Minimal UV exposure on the inside of a dry suit so I’m not concerned about the aquaseal getting brittle.

@SD Climber is this what you were referring to?
McMaster-Carr

Based on the durometer rating, perhaps? I only know from the DUI factory tour video, theirs was from big industrial drums! There must be someone on here who can answer (somewhat) definitively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom